IGNORED

Let's open another can of worms — are music streaming services providing genuinely lossless audio?

won't it be possible to determine if a FLAC album that you ripped yourself is identical to the streamed version, using something like paralell waveform analysis?

That said, I think we should set up a '100% genuine lossless file'certification system, for a fee per album and a general subscription fee per annum per provider once the initial audit is completed ;-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

compression on lossless streaming? I'd be interested to hear how that would work and end up being lossy?

I mean Radio sound quality is usually screwed up, DAB is already better but I fear it's banged up before being broadcast digitally...but FLAC files from a serious content provider like f.e. Qobuz, if those are messed up I'm done with them.

Albums being available in multiple formats make me weary, as it;s easy to reformat a dataset, especially with older stuff, yet newer recordings can be mastered using DXD to various formats.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

26 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I trust the industry as far as I can throw it. I am not that strong.... 

If you get my meaning. 

trust me, I do! I'm wary of the marketing lingo that floats around....been part of the industry but never could pusk myself to the point where the messaging outperformed the gear.

1 minute ago, danadam said:

I have an idea. We could come up with a scheme that allows labels to embed a cryptographic signature in the lowest bit of audio. Then a DAC could verify if the signature is correct. If it is, it could maybe light up a LED. I think blue would be nice. What do you think? And how would we call it?

😉😉😉

we'd call it an XYZ certified stream ;-)

O you were quite clear, yet there is a major difference between radio (FM / AM) and data streaming.

for FM/AM radio all sorts of compression and sound manipulation is used to deal with a limited bandwidth, whereas DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast) SHOULD be capable of transmitting higher quality osund than FM but in reality are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting#:~:text=The typical bitrate for DAB,-4 HE-AAC standard.

Digital streaming OUGHT to be capable of delivering FLAC, effectively using far more 'bandwidth' than any radio (digital or analog).

I dunno, they could but that should not change anything beyond the CRC checksum or similar ...the waveforms should be identical. How IS DRM done these days?

lossless does not mean that quality of sound cannot suffer...a better network, better streamer and the gap becomes smaller