IGNORED

HQPlayer Embedded can't see NAA devices

I should have at least two NAA devices on my network: the internal LAN renderer in my Gustard R26, and my Pi2AES running on RoPieee with NAA enabled. All devices are connected via gigabit LAN directly to the router. HQPlayer Embedded detects none of them.

HQPlayer Embedded is running on a dedicated headless media server with an i5-10600KF and GTX1660 Ti. I have enabled mDNS and IGMP on the machine's firewall and installed avahi-daemon. I have also enabled IGMP and mDNS on the router.

Not sure where to go from here, so any help would be appreciated!

HQPlayer PC: Ubuntu Server 23.04, Intel i5-10600KF, Nvidia GTX1660 Ti, 2.5 TB NVMe + 6 TB HDD

Speakers: USBridge Signature (NAA) > Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Schiit Saga OG > Schiit Aegir > Tekton Lore

Headphones: Pi2AES (NAA) > Gustard R26 > Schiit Jotunheim 2 > ZMF Atticus LTD Cocobolo

Sorry, this is hqplayerd, not HQPlayer embedded, my mistake

I also wanted to share that when I run HQPlayer Embedded (for real this time) on a Pi4 with a Pi2AES hat, it's able to detect the other devices on the network. It's only my media server with hqplayerd that can't see them.

HQPlayer PC: Ubuntu Server 23.04, Intel i5-10600KF, Nvidia GTX1660 Ti, 2.5 TB NVMe + 6 TB HDD

Speakers: USBridge Signature (NAA) > Schiit Bifrost 2/64 > Schiit Saga OG > Schiit Aegir > Tekton Lore

Headphones: Pi2AES (NAA) > Gustard R26 > Schiit Jotunheim 2 > ZMF Atticus LTD Cocobolo

It's a firewall problem since when I change my firewall settings to accept all home connections, it picks up the Pi4/Pi2AES. It does not pick up the USBridge on RoPieee, though, which is odd because the HQPlayer Embedded running on the Pi4 can see it.

What ports do I need to open to allow HQPlayer to function from behind a firewall? And why can one instance of HQPlayer see the USBridge when the other can't?

1 hour ago, ohshitgorillas said:

What ports do I need to open to allow HQPlayer to function from behind a firewall? And why can one instance of HQPlayer see the USBridge when the other can't?

Generally HQPlayer uses dynamic ports and multicast, so there are no specific ports to open. It is not intended to work through firewalls. Only internet streaming features work through firewalls.

Assumption is that the home network is protected by a separate firewall device. Typically that would be your internet router device.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, ohshitgorillas said:

Sorry, this is hqplayerd, not HQPlayer embedded, my mistake

Sorry, but I don't understand, hqplayerd is Embedded. AKA HQPlayer daemon, thus following the Unix defacto standard naming for daemons.

You mean HQPlayer Desktop?

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Sorry, but I don't understand, hqplayerd is Embedded. AKA HQPlayer daemon, thus following the Unix defacto standard naming for daemons.

You mean HQPlayer Desktop?

When I refer to hqplayerd, I'm referring to the instance running on my media server (Ubuntu Server 23.04). When I say HQPlayer Embedded, I mean the HQPlayer OS running on my Pi4.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Generally HQPlayer uses dynamic ports and multicast, so there are no specific ports to open. It is not intended to work through firewalls. Only internet streaming features work through firewalls.

Assumption is that the home network is protected by a separate firewall device. Typically that would be your internet router device.

Surely, though, there is a range of ports that it uses?

18 hours ago, ohshitgorillas said:

When I refer to hqplayerd, I'm referring to the instance running on my media server (Ubuntu Server 23.04). When I say HQPlayer Embedded, I mean the HQPlayer OS running on my Pi4.

Both are the same HQPlayer Embedded, the other one is just integrated into HQPlayer OS.

18 hours ago, ohshitgorillas said:

Surely, though, there is a range of ports that it uses?

Ports are assigned by the OS when the socket descriptor is created. IOW, the sockets are bound to port 0. Some OS assign the ports randomly from the unused ones, some assign the ports sequentially. We just know the ports are > 1024 since the ports <= 1024 are privileged ones.

On 1/6/2024 at 3:36 AM, Miska said:

Ports are assigned by the OS when the socket descriptor is created. IOW, the sockets are bound to port 0. Some OS assign the ports randomly from the unused ones, some assign the ports sequentially. We just know the ports are > 1024 since the ports <= 1024 are privileged ones.

That sounds like source ports, but what about the destination ports?