IGNORED

Roon Rock & EtherRegen

Hi, I'm new to this forum. After going to Uptone's contact page, I saw the link to the forum so I thought I'd seek the knowledge of the hive mind.  

I've been a happy EtherRegen owner for a few years.  I recently built a Roon ROCK NUC server. It has worked fine, but it occurred to me that I might configure the signal path differently. 

My chain is Arris modem>>>Google Mesh>>>etherregen>>>NUC>>>DAC (via USB).  This works fine, but there is a slight clinical glare to music that wasn't there before the NUC.  (Before Nuc, my core was wireless which I've read is not recommended.)  

It occurred to me the other day, why not put the NUC on one of the other Regen A ports to see how/if that would change the sound.  

So I've tried Arris Modem>>>Mesh>>>EtherR A port 1>>>B Port>>>DAC

and then on 2nd A port>>>NUC.

Should that work?  I can't get the network to see the NUC when it's set up like that.  I've power-cycled everything. I've gone into NUC and reset network settings and still no joy.  Any insights would be much appreciated.  I'm a networking noob so it could very well be operator error. 

On 12/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, yomaha said:

So I've tried Arris Modem>>>Mesh>>>EtherR A port 1>>>B Port>>>DAC

and then on 2nd A port>>>NUC.

Welcome to the forum!  :D

The above, with network feed and NUC plugged into 'A' side EtherREGEN ports--and DAC endpoint plugged into the 'B' port--should work and be the best sounding configuration.

But you do not say what is the model of your Ethernet-input-equipped DAC.   

Please let us know so that we can further assist you. 

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEARS!

--Alex C.

Just to add something else to consider for your issue of the NUC sound quality. I did find Roon Rock sound to be too different to enjoy and it comes down to the Operating system and software implementation. Moving to a current gen Windows fixed that for me. Sorry if that sounds deflating but you maybe hearing the same thing. Also, wireless isolation with a good mesh network is quite effective so don't rule that out without trying.

On 12/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, yomaha said:

its is a PS Audio DSD sr with Bridge II

There are a great many people using EtherREGEN (‘B’ port) into their PS Audio DS DAC Bridge II input, so that should work. Sometimes the ConversDigital Mconnect card (the OEM board that is the Bridge II) is a little fussy about connecting and being seen by Roon. But keep trying and you will get it. 
Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you.  I'm able to go from mesh into A port then B port out to Bridge II. In this config my core was wireless.

I've also gone mesh to A port>>>B port to NUC>>>Nuc USB to PS DAC and no issues there either. (But it changed the sound to my ears).

But going Mesh to A1 and NUC to A2 the B to Bridge II, it never sees the NUC Core.