IGNORED

Article: Best In-ear Monitors In 2023 / 2024

To Chris' point, I like small so that I can sleep on airplanes with ear on pillow and have them stay comfortable during a 12 hour flight. Etymotic had a promotion years ago for custom molded earpieces requiring a visit to an audiologist.  I got a pair and love them; I guess I am hooked on "bottom-of-the-pyramid" Etymotic IEMs (on my third set).

I don't mean to be a troll; I'm just thinking out loud about how we all value things differently. I compromise (apparently!) sound quality for comfort.  Frankly, for me, I don't know why I would want such high-end "earbuds" when I prefer other options for listening in quiet environments.  My Etymotics stay in my travel backpack.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Which Etymotics? I’ve had several over the years. 

Just their ER2XR.  Owning custom earpieces, I now have the cart before the ox; I had to buy the earphone that fit my earpieces rather than shopping the whole product line.

Last time I had to replace my earphones, I telephoned Etymotic to ask which product would fit my earpieces.  The technician wasn't really certain and thought the ER2 were the most likely.  They do fit fine, but I am unsure what else in their product line would have also been okay.

I do find that the XR version, with its slight bass boost, to be beneficial for the custom earpieces. I no longer use any profile adjustment on my music player and just run it "flat."

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors