IGNORED

2010 Mac Mini (MC270LL/A) Base Model on Sale - $599

Most of the sellers on eBay today are "large" sellers, who have had the seller agreements and pricing changed significantly from what you or I would see as a seller.

For example, insertion fees are waived, PayPal fees are discounted sharply, final sales value percentages are also discounted. A lot.

What irks me to no end though, are the changes that allow some sellers to post things like 'It is the buyers responsibility to ensure this equipment is what they think it is. No refunds."

That says, essentially, that eBay is doing absolutely nothing to prevent or limit fraud. Several times over the past three years, I had to resort to siccing American Express on some unsavory sellers - as well as PayPal.

One seller sent my wife a quite expensive pocketbook, packed in a plain manilla envelope. Needless to say, it arrived in less than pristine condition, and she refused to do anything about it - even going so far as accusing us of damaging the property.

eBay just shrugged, and told us it was between us and the seller.

PayPal said - "Well, we cannot do anything because you cannot prove you did not damage the pocketbook." (Fact!)

Amex said - no problem at all, and processed a chargeback against PayPal, which then prompted PayPal to take some notice and complain. To me. Not to the seller.

We did, by the way, return the purse to the seller, who tried to refuse it. She had filed and received a claim with the USPS for damage to the purse.

There is simply no way in H E DoubleToothpicks I am going to spend any amount of money on eBay any longer. I will (cautiously) use Craigslist, but mostly I just buy from Amazon or other reputable online dealers. Or I try to buy direct from the manufacturer or a local dealer. I miss some great deals, but what my dad always said is absolutely true -

If it looks to good to be true, somebody is trying to steal your money boy!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

@Paul

Is the fault eBay's or is the fault the lax consumer rights laws of (I assume) USA?

Just a thought as eBay seem a lot more responsive in UK where as a consumer you have quite good protection enshrined in law: or instance the right to return any product under distance selling regulations and (in a case like you demo strated) the seller would have to prove you had caused the damage.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just purchased one from the link you provided - my wife needed a new computer for general purposes on her desk. And this is a good price! (I have purchased quite a few things from the seller - MacMall - in the past and don't have too many worries if there is a problem.)

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

At least here, the states have more consumer protection laws, and unfortunately the laws vary from state to state.

An eBay sale from out of state has only federal protections, which compared to the U.K., are lax indeed.

YMMV of course. 5 years ago, this was not true at all on eBay.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein