IGNORED

critique my music server build? + help choosing NIC

dusk

I am attempting to build my first music server, and I would like some help making sure I'm on the right track.

I'm a bit of a newb, and while I get more into the digital audio realm, I want to establish a baseline and then can add components to the system and see how they improve things.  This is why I'm going to start by building a hybrid gaming/music server (roon core + hqplayer upsampling).  I was already planning on building a gaming PC, and it will be far cheaper to add the components I need now instead of building a separate box while I learn things.  

my chain so far is PC > network switch > Holo Red > Holo May KTE

thinking about these parts. critique welcome!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sBYw6D

also, I need a nice network card if anyone has recommendations I can look into. I know about the two JCATs, Solarflare SFN8522 or X2522, and AfterDark (which is interesting because it takes an external clock), but honestly don't know where to start.

later I can add additional components like dedicated roon core, reclockers/world clocks, audiophile switches, linear PSU's, etc and see how it affects my system.

Thanks!

main Beefy Gaming PC > Roon > HQPlayer DSD512 ASDM7EC-super 512+fs sinc-long > Holo Red > Holo May KTE > Pass XP-27 > Pass XA-25 > Zu Audio Definition IV > Zu Audio Event Interconnects

work m1MBP > Roon > HQPlayer 24/192 PCM NS9 poly-sinc-gauss-xla > regular ass USB 3.0 cable > RME Fireface UFX III > Grimm AES cable > Genelec 8361a + w371a

I have, yes! they both look interesting

I might get a few and A/B test them in my system and see which one I like best.

main Beefy Gaming PC > Roon > HQPlayer DSD512 ASDM7EC-super 512+fs sinc-long > Holo Red > Holo May KTE > Pass XP-27 > Pass XA-25 > Zu Audio Definition IV > Zu Audio Event Interconnects

work m1MBP > Roon > HQPlayer 24/192 PCM NS9 poly-sinc-gauss-xla > regular ass USB 3.0 cable > RME Fireface UFX III > Grimm AES cable > Genelec 8361a + w371a

oh this is great news, thanks!

On 9/2/2023 at 1:30 PM, dusk said:

I am attempting to build my first music server, and I would like some help making sure I'm on the right track.

I'm a bit of a newb, and while I get more into the digital audio realm, I want to establish a baseline and then can add components to the system and see how they improve things.  This is why I'm going to start by building a hybrid gaming/music server (roon core + hqplayer upsampling).  I was already planning on building a gaming PC, and it will be far cheaper to add the components I need now instead of building a separate box while I learn things.  

my chain so far is PC > network switch > Holo Red > Holo May KTE

thinking about these parts. critique welcome!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sBYw6D

also, I need a nice network card if anyone has recommendations I can look into. I know about the two JCATs, Solarflare SFN8522 or X2522, and AfterDark (which is interesting because it takes an external clock), but honestly don't know where to start.

later I can add additional components like dedicated roon core, reclockers/world clocks, audiophile switches, linear PSU's, etc and see how it affects my system.

Thanks!

Looks like your not playing around with this build!

In terms of the NIC Card, I would just pickup a well proven Intel Card. At least you will know that good Driver support will be around for a long time. Not sure the same can be said with the various aftermarket "Audiophile" type cards.

On the Liquid cooler, I would skip it. I think it adds unneeded complexity and additional parts to the build that can be problematic later down the road (ie..Leaks, Mechanical Noise, Additional Electrical Noise, Additional Cost). The computer case you have appears pretty large so airflow should be pretty decent by default (assuming the machine doesn't get stuffed into a sealed shoebox with no air flow at all). Now I'm not advocating to not have CPU cooling but you could maybe look into Passive Cooling methods? Skipping the liquid cooler may free up funds to put towards a better case geared towards Passive Cooling. Just a thought.

In terms of RAM, I'm usually a pretty big fan of having more RAM then needed. It appears your build will have 64gb of RAM. Unless I'm blind? If true, that's bad ass but may be double overkill for a Music server. Personally, I think 32gb is already the ideal amount of overkill but maybe you have other reasons for needing more?

I didn't look into the specifics of each component but it may be worth investigating if the CPU you have chosen is the most powerful one that will fit into the listed motherboard or not. If it isn't, maybe you could shuffle some funds that would have gone towards the 64gb of RAM and see if that can get you a more powerful CPU? Maybe the one you have listed already is the best one?

On 9/3/2023 at 3:30 AM, dusk said:

I need a nice network card if anyone has recommendations I can look into. I know about the two JCATs, Solarflare SFN8522 or X2522, and AfterDark (which is interesting because it takes an external clock)

I would suggest to choose a little bit old model, like the genuine Intel NIC 82574L. The reason is e1000 driver for 82574L is already part of the standard Linux kernel function even in virtual machine mode. Standard means native and no brainer. Don't be fooled by price, it's a very robust NIC. Just remember to disable the green ethernet related options. The other choices are genuine Intel i350-T2V2 or i350-T4V2.

Generally speaking, genuine Intel NICs all have good quality crystal oscillator no matter new or old models. IHMO there's no reason to attach an external clock for ethernet NIC. By the spec ±50ppm would meet the requirements. Better accuracy won't provide any improvement unless you're going to build SyncE environment (spec ±4.6ppm).