IGNORED

USB DAC for Dynaudio BM6A

Hello guys!!

I just buy a Dynaudio BM6A active monitors.

Could you recommend a USB DAC. It's not too expensive.

Now I have Windows in PC, but I will buy a iMac 27".

Regards!!

JRiver Media Center 17 > Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus > Dynaudio BM6A

Do you want to run DAC direct (with internal volume control) or use a pre-amplifier and use line-out from any DAC?

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

You can go both ways.

There is already a very active discussion going on about using a pre-amp or not: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Resurrecting-Preamp

It seems very system dependant so maybe reading this post will help you understand the implications chosing any solution.

When you use a DAC with internal volume control you have less models to choose from.

All DAC’s have line-out but not all DAC’s have volume control.

I use a pre-amp because I also have a Tuner, CD player & DVD player (both will be obsolete soon) and like to wacht some TV programs with stereo sound over the big speakers.

There are many USB-DAC’s accepting max. 24/96 and some models doing 24/192.

All depends on your budget, requirements and if you want to use a pre-amp in the end ;-)

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

For the cleanest sound, you should certainly go without the pre-amp. If the Dynaudios have balanced inputs, this limits your choice of DACs. I am using the Anedio DAC which has extremely good outputs but they are unbalanced (which BTW I think sounds better in consumer installations) It is about $1300 which may or may not be in your price range. If it is, you should try it as they offer a thirty day trial with no re-stocking fee. Kindest regards Dr. John Dozier

There is really no need for balanced lines in home use. They were designed for broadcast use where high levels of RF were present. Unbalanced sounds better because the circuitry is less complex. I would use balanced to unbalanced adapters (I think Cardas makes them) but there are many others. The Anedio dac has a very good output stage and can drive long lines with ease. BTW, as a consequence, it is also a superb headphone amp. There may be other dacs with balanced outs that may also meet your needs. I have experience with one from China that is relatively good sounding and around $300. It is however, no match for the Anedio which I consider to be a bargain at the price. If I can be of further help,please let me know, I am a former broadcast manager and recording engineer and am well versed in balanced versus unbalanced configurations. Kindest regards, Dr. John Dozier

I know you say "not too expensive" but considering you've just spent @ $1500 on your monitors I'd recommend the Benchmark DAC1 USB. It has an analog volume control and balanced outputs. I'm using one with my Dynaudio BM5AmkII and it's a great sounding setup.

You can find the Benchmark USB for @ $900 used on eBay and AudigoGon.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W