IGNORED

Cool magazine writeup of killer audio stack with laptop running Tidal at Munich 2023!!

9 hours ago, audiobomber said:

In other words, you don't really know.

I agree, there's no need to drop a fortune on a server, unless you are shooting for SOTA sound. I'm not in that market, I just aim for sound that makes me happy. I have four streaming systems. Here's my music renderer ranking, based on personal testing in my systems:

1. exaSound PlayPoint

2. sMS-200 Neo

3. Chromecast Audio 

4. Raspberry Pi 3B+

5. Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop

What settings do you suggest? I use my laptop in a very nice desktop system and any advice on how to improve it would be welcome. Note though that I also need to use it as a general purpose computer, so the settings would have to allow that . A laptop dedicated to simply playing music makes no sense to me, I would buy an actual single purpose audiophile streamer for the same price, not a laptop. 

Its not too difficult to spot things that errr on the side of snake oil when it comes to Computers/Networking if you have background/experience operating in that field.

I'm confident (without hearing the Golden goose in question) that I have no interest in whatever it sounds like after seeing its 5 figure price tag and bits of Wood inside its chassis.

Good luck explaining that to an insurance company if it catches fire and burns down your house 🤣