IGNORED

Stream N100 to Sonos?

Unless you can run Roon I don’t see how. The only other way to stream to a Sonos Speaker other than the Sonos App is if the speaker supports Airplay2; it can’t be a first gen speaker.

I don’t own a Aurrender Server so I’m no expert but looking at the specs I did not get the impression it was doable. 

Good Luck….Mike

I think your N100 is the same concept as my old X100L… ie: a digital source with a USB output, and without any DAC or further processing. If so, then you must be feeding your Aurender’s USB output to something… either a standalone DAC or an amplifier with USB digital input (in which case the DAC is in the amplifier). 

You can’t send the Aurender USB output directly to a SONOS system (in the same way you can’t send your Aurender USB output directly to your own loudspeakers).

So in some way you’re asking the wrong question…. you should probably be asking “how can I send the output of my DAC/ amplifier to a SONOS system ?”

If you can identify your DAC, amplifiers and current system then that is MAYBE where the answer lies….

It may also depend on which SONOS equipment you use.

(AFAIK, different SONOS systems can accept generic digital inputs via HDMI, OPTICAL & BLUETOOTH… but not USB. Some SONOS units (like AMP) accept analogue inputs. So somewhere in your system you’ll have to identify a HDMI, OPTICAL or BLUETOOTH output)

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Thanks @BCRich and @krass

Agree krass, I should be looking at this differently I guess.  Aurender -> PS Audio DAC -> Mac preamp.

My wife travels back and forth from her sewing room to the back deck with her Sonos One.  We have been SiriusXM subscribers since 2005 so she has the SiriusXM app installed on the Sonos, her app of choice.  I thought it would be nice if I could sit out on the deck with her and dig into my library.

Our iPhones have network connectivity and I also have the Aurender Conductor app on my phone so I was wondering about maybe stream to my phone with the Conductor app and sending that to the Sonos.  This Sonus One speaker has Alexa.

Appreciate the feedback.

42 minutes ago, r042wal said:

Thanks @BCRich and @krass

Agree krass, I should be looking at this differently I guess.  Aurender -> PS Audio DAC -> Mac preamp.

My wife travels back and forth from her sewing room to the back deck with her Sonos One.  We have been SiriusXM subscribers since 2005 so she has the SiriusXM app installed on the Sonos, her app of choice.  I thought it would be nice if I could sit out on the deck with her and dig into my library.

Our iPhones have network connectivity and I also have the Aurender Conductor app on my phone so I was wondering about maybe stream to my phone with the Conductor app and sending that to the Sonos.  This Sonus One speaker has Alexa.

Appreciate the feedback.

..still missing some info… like do you have other  Sonos equipment and which Mac 
preamp (presumably you mean McIntosh not Apple Mac ?)

The PS Audio DAC v1 doesn’t seem to have an output to Sonos, neither do most Mcintosh preamplifiers. So the only way to get a signal out of that system* onto Sonos would be via a physically connected Sonos device (like a Sonos Port, connected to either the DAC output or a preout on the preamp). A Sonos Port is not cheap, though..

But it’s possible you might have other Sonos devices in the house ? Some Sonos devices (like ARC, PORT, AMP) can forward music wirelessly to Sonos speakers via physical inputs. But if you only have the Sonos One then you’re a bit stuck I suspect….. 

3 hours ago, BCRich said:

The best way to deal with Sonos and a Library is to put the Library on a NAS and point Sonos to it. This alleviates the need for another PC to be powered up to access your library.

That is a great idea.  My Aurender library backs up automatically to a QNAP NAS each night so I always have a mirrored copy.  Thanks @BCRich

3 hours ago, krass said:

..still missing some info… like do you have other  Sonos equipment and which Mac 
preamp (presumably you mean McIntosh not Apple Mac ?)

The PS Audio DAC v1 doesn’t seem to have an output to Sonos, neither do most Mcintosh preamplifiers. So the only way to get a signal out of that system* onto Sonos would be via a physically connected Sonos device (like a Sonos Port, connected to either the DAC output or a preout on the preamp). A Sonos Port is not cheap, though..

But it’s possible you might have other Sonos devices in the house ? Some Sonos devices (like ARC, PORT, AMP) can forward music wirelessly to Sonos speakers via physical inputs. But if you only have the Sonos One then you’re a bit stuck I suspect….. 

We have a Sonos One (with Alexa) and a Sonos One SL (without Alexa).  I bought them for my wife's pleasure but if I'm going to be sitting out on the back deck with her (as opposed to her sewing room x-D) I thought I could access my tunes.

I really like BCRich's idea of accessing my QNAP server with her Sonos.  My chain is Aurender N100H -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 DDC -> McIntosh C48 preamp -> McIntosh MC500 amp.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, r042wal said:

That is a great idea.  My Aurender library backs up automatically to a QNAP NAS each night so I always have a mirrored copy.  Thanks @BCRich

yes.. definitely the most elegant (& cheapest !) solution.

you’ll have to google “Sonos connect QMAP NAS” to find out how to do it, but there are plenty of people who’ve done it already… good luck !

(nice hifi!)

• 2 weeks later...