IGNORED

So why do I want to use I2S for streaming to DAC?

So... That is what I have been using. I stream and serve with I2S to DAC from Mercury streamer. I got a new DAC and I2S was supposed to be added but wasn't. That is fixable, but I want to know if it is worth it?

I have been reluctant to use USB because I don't want more boxes to fix it (if needed). I will not be using computer, no HQplayer... Just Mercury to DAC. I saw I2S was limited, but that is not true. USB isn't limited... But ultra hi-res does not interest me. 92-192khz is about the most common hi-res available. Not a lot of DSD available past 256.

If it helps its a Lampizator. I will be talking to them but I have read other stuff from them and like most they say try them all... At best they do brag and say their USB needs no fixing. So... Is I2S and better than USB in a meaningful way?

Thank you.

Mercury USB is not intended for output purposes - only for "attaching mass storage or USB peripherals. While they can be used to interface with an external DAC, there is no special noise reduction or isolation circuitry."

It's in the V2 Hardware Ref Manual.  I assume it also applies to the Mercury V1, if that's what you have.

Most users report to have near I2S quality output to their DACs if you use the S/PDIF output of your Mercury.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover