IGNORED

Using an Equalizer to Compensate for Hearing Loss

jriver

The question was asked on the JRiver forum and the user received a lot of good advice.  I think it's an important enough subject to share it here:

mwillems said this, for instance:

The other advice you've received is all very good.  You don't want to try and compensate fully for the loss as that won't sound good (a little EQ can go a long way), and you definitely don't want to add net gain.  Your ears are a little different from each other, but have a lot in common too.  So I think the most sensible place to start is with a shelf filter as your audiogram isn't particularly "bumpy": both ears mostly fall off sharply above 3k or so. 

Just as a simple starting test, I'd be tempted to start by opening parametric EQ, reducing the overall volume by about 10db (to get some head room) and then dial in a high shelf filter.  The filters you should add in parametric EQ are an "Adjust the Volume" with a -10dB gain, then an "Adjust the high frequencies (High Shelf)" filter with a Bandwidth(Q) of 1, a frequency of of 3500, and a gain of 5dB.

The whole topic is here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135029.0.html

Please feel free to move this post.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com