IGNORED

Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center upcoming review

After recently tested from best to worst:

MSB Technology Platinum DAC IV Signature with USB 192 and Standard power base.

MSB Technology Power DAC USB 192.

Linn Akurate DS new.

Linn Majik DS without Dynamik PSU.

NAIM DAC with digital coax from Lynx Studio L22 PCI Soundcard.

I'm testing now the M2Tech Young DAC, I'll write soon my impressions in its specific thread, but I've aimed also at listening to the Resolution Audio Cantata which has very impressive features:

Network Streaming + USB + most common Digital Inputs

CD Player

Pre amp

Balanced + Single Ended analogue outputs

Very High End power regulation with 4 Toroidals into same unit.

Very cool look.

If the reviews are real it is already one of the best CD Player and DAC around.

Expensive but less than MSB Platinum DAC IV which is the best I've tested till now.

Resolution Audio CMC will arrives hopefully at the end of this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, the Young was not the new version so I've sent it back waiting for the new. I'm still waiting for the Resolution Audio MC too, the distributor tells me today it's already shipped but I've received the same answer last week...

So still waiting for both!

• 2 weeks later...

"The conclusion: I like more the Young than Cantata for computer audio."

Really? The Cantata dealer told me it's the best thing out there. ;) Good to know the M2Tech can compete with a product costing that much.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

Keep in mind that I've compared only the USB input, the Cantata have a lot of digital inputs which I've not tried, its USB input is limited to 96k and they have not developed custom drivers so it seems not the top priority in the project. It is also a high-end CD Player, I've tested it and my impression is that it's better than USB with the same music, less colored, more detailed, dynamic and clean. The Cantata has interesting features like variable output to connect directly the power amp, Ethernet input, single and balanced connections. I like it's sound more than a Linn Akurate DS even via USB, in CD player mode it's better, but just for USB I prefer the Young. For the M2Tech the USB input is its main priority, some users comments its other inputs are lower quality and if that is a clue, the Cantata is better in any other way but USB.

I've discovered two simple solutions to upgrade the sound of the Cantata USB input and make it less colored, more neutral and better sounding than before.

I've discovered that the previous power cable was contributing to the warm and colored sound which masked some detail in the Cantata sound. The new Naim power cable is more neutral, more dynamic and gives the bass more control and at the same time more extension and impact.

I've also experimented with digital output from JRiver MC settings, I've selected WASAPI Event Style as the best for the Cantata, it gives it a little bit more detail and dynamic.

These two simple mods cures the limits I've pointed to the RA before.

In this new configuration I like very much the Cantata even through USB input and now I think it's overall at the same level or better than the Young, it's more powerful in the bass and the volume could be turned up more without causing too much distorsion, the Young dryness prevent to pump up the volume that much. The Cantata has a more refined sound than the Young, even the PRaT is more evident and its closer to the italian now. The soundstage is improved too but the Young is still more precise here, maybe the Young dryness vs. Cantata warmth contribute to the perceived position in space separating the sounds better.

I've no more the MSB which is the best so far but the cost/features ratio is not justified anymore, I've already tested cheaper solutions which can satisfy me.

The Cantata stays for now I want to give it a better evaluation to all its features I've not tested yet: as a preamplifier, as a network streamer, the quality of each digital input and the difference between single ended and balanced analogue output.

I'll update the comparison when the new Teddy Pardo PSU dedicated to the Young arrives, then I'll be able to change also the power cable of its PSU and experiment a bit as I've done with the Cantata.

Hello,

IMO the RA Cantata is better through USB than as CDP. But my experience comes only from listening with a MAC and Pure Music (44khz, no HD).

Also the RA Cantata is IMO in an other league than the M2Tech Young. Much more natural and much more "flow" of the music. An Ayre QB-9 was close behind for me, a Linn Akurate DS (former model- I don´t listen to the new one) or a Northstar USB dac32 are not my cup of tea. And I like the RA Cantata more than my friends Weiss DAC 202 which is also a very good DAC.

The conclusion: I like much much more the Cantata than the Young for computer audio.

Regards

Tom

I use Windows 7 64bit Professional, JRiver MC and WASAPI Event Style for software with hardware based on Intel Sandybridge CPU, SSD and Antec Signature 850watt switching PSU.

Just for our different setup there will be a small difference in sound.

I'll add that is generally known that the computer is noisy, many manufacturers suggest that a transport with dedicated linear PSU will give better sound than a computer connected to the same DAC which receives some of that noise.

If your experience with the Cantata USB input is better than its CD, I can't disagree, I just accept my computer is so noisy it can't compete with its regulated CD power supply. Maybe your Mac is a lower noise computer than mine.

I also agree that the Cantata is easier to the ears than the Young, more refined sound and less dry too, but it misses the PRaT, the precision of the soundstage and a bit of HF details of the Young in my opinion and given my system. I'm a Naim fan so PRaT is one of my priority.

I can't agree with you that the Cantata is in a different league, if so I should have no doubt which is better, but I'm still unsure. I'm sure the Young can compete in USB mode, I have both connected to my system now, I've switched them a lot and will continue to do so in the following days. It's not so easy to decide, that tells a lot for the Young.

However the real point is that the Young is a real high end DAC at a bargain price. I've tested only the latest version with firmware 1.3, which one have you tried?

Users experiences suggests the latest is better sounding.

I'll update the comparison when the new Teddy Pardo PSU dedicated to the Young will arrives, I'm confident, given the low quality of stock PSU, that it'll give the italian a good boost in performance and maybe so much to better the Cantata in every way.

The Young DAC was not yet available. I compared Weiss DAC2, Metric Halo ULN-8 and LIO-8, Linn Klimax DS with the Cantata. I already had a Goldmund Mimesis 20 DAC and a dCs P8i. The differences were subtle but my preference was for the Cantata, so I bought it.

The USB input is, by the way, galvanically isolated from the rest of the electronics, so the Cantata should be more immune to a noisy computer than usual. The USB input is also of the asynchronous type, so I think this input has been given considerable priority.

In terms of power supply differences it certainly seems a well designed device should be insensitive in this regard. I also bought a Metric Halo ULN-8 and have compared the standard switched mode power supply with a vast custom linear supply and was unable to detect any difference.

My system is all plugged into a Goldmund AC-Curator which may well isolate it from mains born noise sufficiently well for switched mode supplies not to effect it via mains noise, however.

Frank

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup

Unfortunately for computer audio the Naim DAC was tested only with the SPDIF out of the Lynx L22 PCI soundcard, I have not any usb converter, the Lynx digital output was very bad also with all MSB DACs, so the ranking is not fair, I'm sure with a good usb converter the Naim should sound much better.

• 2 months later...

Hi CA users - first ever post!

Can anyone tell me a retailer of the RA Cantata in the US?

I can't seem to fins anyone easily on-line, and there are no indications on the RA website, only export distributors?

I'm based in the UK but due to the ridiculous prices i would prefer to import directly in US$

Cheers

Beware of unexpected expenditure!

You may have imported from the US before but, just in case you haven't, here are a few aspects to consider.

1. 110 volt versus 240. Obviously a stepup transformer could be used but perhaps the carefully designed 4-transformer power supply may be compromised, plus the stepup transformer EFI in the listening room.

2. US prices are always quoted before tax, import duty, VAT and an import fee from the shipper will also have to be paid.

3. Hardware upgrades will need you to send the unit back to the US rather than your dealer.

I would be happy to import speakers, cartridges or pickup arms into the UK if the savings were worthwhile (I have done myself), anything requiring power it would have to be a massive saving to compensate the risk.

Just IMHO

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup

Hi Frank

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.

Yes i do realise there are a number of pitfalls with this process; I have been reviewing the same option with the PS Audio DAC/Bridge/Transport system and suppliers over there have been able to offer factory switched 240v units for a small additional cost, so i had hoped this would be available from RA vendors also....

Yes the duty & VAT etc is a pain, but even at 100% value, i still think you could land one for £1000 less than UK list. Thats a big saving, and as far as i am aware the UPnP update later in the year & the 24/192 update will both be available through CD updates rather than requiring factory returns?

As you say though, there is a risk element to it and in the end i may decide to stick to UK source [where did you get yours by the way?], but worth investigating the potential, and a big saving if it can be done right!

Thks