IGNORED

Running Network Audio Daemon (NAA) images on the Rendu Series

As I use my ultraRendu exclusively as an HQPlayer NAA, I find a couple of advantages to using Jussi's NAA images over the "standard" software. First, I get updates to the NAA software the moment they become available. I don't have to request and wait for Sonore to provide the update on their schedule. I don't ever have to pay for a new microSD to get an updated OS so I can get the latest version of NAA.

If anything, the ultraRendu sounds better running Jussi's NAA image. It's certainly not worse....

The downsides you list or really not an issue. If I believe I am having a problem with the ultraRendu, I can always put the Sonore microSD card in it and then get support.

45 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Sure you have access to his image as quikly as you want it. However, we hold the warranty on all units globally and we need to go through our process to verify new builds of any app. We also bundle updates to make things efficeint on our end. All the apps are on a rotation and we would only give priority to one if there is blaring issue.

Your statement about having to pay to get the latest OS to get the latest NAA is very much overstated. SO 2.8 has been under continuous update for free for a long time. 

YMMV, but as noted above you may not be getting all the hardware features enabled using Jussi's NAA image. The lack of proper LED support is just annoying for support, but some of the other issues go against the very reason you bought the unit. 

Sure you can always swap the micro SD card back, but if the issue is with Jussi's NAA image which is a whole different OS...

Hey, I stated what I find to be advantages. I did not overstate anything. It appears you do not want your customers to experiment after all. 

Yes, there has been only one paid upgrade to the OS from you guys since I bought my ultraRendu, but it seems rather arbitrary. Almost like you decide you need a revenue boost so you come out with a new version of the OS requiring people to buy a new microSD card from you. There certainly was no noticeable change in the how the ultraRendu functioned after the last paid for upgrade. At least not for Roon or HQPlayer NAA. All I know is that I had to pay for the upgrade if I wanted to get new versions of NAA software moving forward.