IGNORED

SOTM dCBL-CAT8M first impressions

I have been using SOTM cables and the network switch for a good while now and I am very happy with them. When I saw the CAT8 announcement and the very bold claims, the itch started..

The claims 

"With the dCBL-CAT8M, there is much clearer transparency as if a closed door were being opened. The distinctly different textures of each instrument that were hiding in the music were revealed, even though, no one ever thought that sound quality was not sufficient before in the system without the dCBL-CAT8M. In your entire system, you will also feel the same dramatical improvement by a simple Ethernet cable replacement to the dCBL-CAT8M."

I could not resist the itch, and ordered a 2.5m Christmas edition. The color is a bold red which looks great.

The signal chain:

Google Mesh, PPA battery powered (unfortunately the system is far from the internet modem and I had to carry network wirelessly) 

Cat6 

Mikrotik router 

Fiber

SOTM sNH-10G switch with OXCO clock

SOTM dCBL-CAT7 to Nucleus

SOTM dCBL-CAT7 to dCS Network Bridge

Mogami XLR Cable with Bocchino connectors

Kii Three - BXT 

Last night I changed the cable from the Switch to Network Bridge.

Lifting a veil or curtain is used as description in audiophile reviews. SOTM claims "opening a door". And yes, they are right.

Not that I had any problems with the sound before. But the addition of CAT8 transformed the system. I cannot say increased resolution, more bass, etc. Everything jumps a huge jump to coherency. I can focus on different instruments in the music very easily as if I am going next to that performer to listen closely. I can then step back and enjoy the whole picture. I don't want to call the overall effect "revealing" but I cannot find a better word. Yes it is as if opening a door, and being exposed to the real thing. 

In the initial hour the performance improved a great deal, and I am eager to hear if anything further improves in the next couple of days as things settle down.

Another friend ordered the cable at the same time so I had access to one more and I had to try changing the Nucleus - Switch CAT7 connection as well...

Yes a similar jump, this time more on "focusing and soundstage" . Everything just sounds "right", not that it was "wrong" before. 

I invested too much time and money to enjoy good music at home. I am really happy that I did this "upgrade" and yes I will order the second cable. The cost is not easy to swallow, but considering the overall cost of the system and the amount of "correctness and enjoyment" it brings, I can very easily convince myself it is a good investment. 

Trying out one in your system, especially if you think you have a top performing system already, is recommended.

Cheers

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

• 2 weeks later...