IGNORED

Article: Lossless TrueHD Atmos Just Got Much Easier

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@jrobbins50 you need to tell Garry to add 5.1.2 :~)

Oh my goodness, this would be a substantial time savings.  Yes, as you know, I do Dolby Atmos in 5.1.2 (which thus allows use of Roon for playback) and that isn't on Garry's list in the MMH update.  How do I contact him, Chris?

Also, I have MMH on my PC and the DRP on my Mac.  I don't recall, but will the DRP run on PC, as I assume the Mac alone doesn't have the horsepower for the decoding?  JCR

Update:  Nevermind the question on DRP for PC.  I note that I already have it installed on my CAPS20 server (I just haven't used it there), so all I need is MMH on the server, and Garry to update for 5.1.2.  :)

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just install DRP on your PC, then you're good. You don't even touch it. 

I'll tell Garry about your needs :~)

Yes, I realize now that he is Homer, the moderator, at QuadraphonicQuad.  Whilst I've read that blog for many years, and have an account there, it was only my first posting to ask for 5.1.2, and I see that you beat me to it!

Thanks.  JCR

11 hours ago, DigiPete said:

Will Tidal stream through this solution will full Atmos (NOT HD - I'm aware)?

I'm asking because I'm tired of buying disks, only to find out that the mix is crap.

Perhaps your answer is to listen to the Atmos mix via Apple Spacial Music streaming first, to hear it even though in lossy format. If you like it and there is a disc to purchase with the TrueHD lossless Atmos version on it, you can then buy with greater confidence as to what the mix is. JCR 

12 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I use Audiolense XO for producing mono wav FIR filters or .cfg+wav. Use HQPlayer's matrix pipelines mainly. Sometimes I watch TV app contents I use HLC for better lip-syncing.

You should share your HQP settings, as I know Jussi has offered his thoughts as to the best settings for lossy Atmos over Apple Music, @El Guapo!  

I put traditional discrete 5.1 MCH ahead of lossy Atmos and on par with TrueHD.  A good example for me is Rocket Man by Elton John. Whilst I admire the lossy Atmos mix, the 5.1 lossless DSD mix is very good and just sounds better to me. JCR 

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’ve only got 8 channels. 

And I’m not sure that those eight channels correspond to Dolby Atmos 5.1.2. I made the same early mistake as well, thinking that such a rip would pull the Atmos metadata. I am nowadays believing that it does not, with DVDAE. JCR