IGNORED

Article: Reevaluating My Music Storage

I have no complaints about the MiniXL's I am using now, other than at the moment I need to run Minimserver on a separate machine because I lack the knowledge to get it running on the TrueNAS device, and am already tired of dealing with Linux. Unfortunately, Linux seems to have taken hold in my system as the OS of choice for everything other than the Macs I use to do everything else. At the moment the 2011 mini is doing a fine job of running Ubuntu server and Minimserver, and the TrueNAS device is doing a fine job of being a backup. I should take the advice above and get them all on a UPS.

I do have a crazy idea about building a machine just to house my music files and serve them on my network, running Ubuntu Server and using ZFS for the music files. This of course cost money in upfront costs, energy to run, increases maintenance, etc... over running Minimserver just on the NAS. On top of that, network overhead starts to become an issue?  Maybe? not sure how saturated a Gig network can become with work from home/video conferencing, sending high res/DSD files around, kids on YouTube, etc... so perhaps an upgrade to a 10Gig home network adds even more cost.

it becomes a rabbit hole fast because Minimserver won't run on TrueNAS.

Of course, like you I come around to, well what's bad with local storage? Maybe I should just get an appliance music server and call it a day. But... a Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra costs more than all the above. A Taiko, even more than that. One of the new top of the line Aurender devices? Yep, more than a network build out. So is the increased cost worth the, ideally, fewer headaches? I would be locked to those devices and their designers wishes where as with open source and flexible software I have options.

I have no answers, only a rabbit hole of options.

I'll see you at Microcenter in the UPS aisle tho.  ;-)

No electron left behind.