IGNORED

HDTracks Downloads vs Qobuz/Tidal Streaming

I did a "Folger's Taste Test" with a buddy of mine last night and we came to the conclusion that HDTracks downloads just plain sound better than streaming the same music from Qobuz (or Tidal).  In some cases the difference was very stark, in others it was subtle.  In no case though, was the streaming version of a song chosen as having sounded better.  Pink Floyd's DSOTM was like going from FM radio to CD.  

My question... has anyone else done this and if so, am I crazy?  Am I too far into my own head on this.  Apologies if this has been a topic in the past, but maybe my search abilities are rather poor since I could not find a thread that was exactly like this.

Thanks guys.  I was questioning the version of DSOTM which is why I compared a couple of tracks that I knew were the same version (Jethro Tull Aqualung Steven Wilson Remix and Dave Brubeck's Take Five).  The difference was not nearly as clear, but the HDTracks WAV files always sounded marginally better.

I am streaming via a 1GB fiber connection to an Allo USBridge running Volumio (via ethernet).  The HDTracks files are stored on a shared drive that is plugged into my router, so the files are not local to the Allo.  

I don't want to go deep into the rabbit hole, but it leads me to believe that FLAC has more loss than I previously believed.  Given that FLAC files are smaller than WAV files, it only stands to reason that some data would be lost.  I just had no idea that the sound quality would be as noticeable as it is.

Just this guy's $.02

Thanks.  What I find interesting is that when you convert from WAV to FLAC you can set up the level of compression.  

I am going to download the same version of two albums from Qobuz and HDTracks and do a comparison and then compare both to a Qobuz stream.  Believe me, I don't want the Qobuz stream to sound inferior... I don't want to spend more money on downloads than I have to.  I was just taken aback a bit doing some anecdotal back to back listening our of curiosity.  

That sounds like the case.  I was not expecting any difference at all and upon hearing a difference (maybe perception bias...?) I want to dig in further.  In the end, I will listen to what my ears tell me, but just to iterate, I had an audio friend over and he had the same impression.  I did some blind back  to backs and he was always able to identify the HDTracks track that was playing.   We went through 5-6 before I thought maybe there was something to it.  

I understand the science and measurements, but the ears always tell us the most.  I have had numerous Schiit DACs and while the Bifrost 2 doesn't measure as well as the Modius per ASR, there is no question that the BF2 sounds better 100% of the time on 100% of the tracks.  Some things just cannot be fleshed out by a line graph.

I had a Node and went to the Allo USBridge Signature since it was an upgrade but didn't cost me all the outdoors.  I am streaming both local and Qobuz through that unit to a Bifrost 2/64 via balanced outputs to the balanced inputs of a Freya + and then to monoblocked Aegirs.

I always wished the Node was better.  Super slick interface and rock solid stability.  The lack of a USB port is what turned me off.  I did not a slight bump in quality by going to Wifi rather than ethernet and I know that there is also a power supply upgrade that supposedly makes it better as well.... but I never ventured down that path.

• 2 weeks later...

@zoltan Thanks for the reply.   Your experience is consistent with most people's experiences here.  I did a blind test with a friend who has a good ear and I would say he could guess the HDTracks files about 50% of the time, and frankly that could have just been luck of the draw.  So far, only the Pink Floyd tracks are the only ones that seem to yield a difference.  Whatever the case, I just did a DAC upgrade and to be honest, I am not sure I really care anymore.  I think I solved all of my experience problems with this DAC, so I am going to just enjoy whatever source I have at my disposal (within reason... I am still an audio snob after all).  

Thanks to everyone that replied.  I learned a fair amount in this thread.