IGNORED

Best Version of Bach Cello Suites?

Of course, Yo Yo Ma. He has his classic older one (1983), another from 1997, and a newer interpretation from 2018.

Alisa Weilerstein has a good one that's a bit different.

David Watkin has one on period (and even older) instruments that's interesting and a bit different.

And for something completely different, there's Kuniko plays Bach J.S. Bach Solo Works for Marimba - arranged for marimba by Kuniko Kato.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/dfqhrx2cunkqb

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

This is something I definitely find kinky, Cello Suites on violin. Or, piano sonatas on drums or organ fugues on balalaika. Is there not enough music written for literally every instrument possible? Or, are Bach's Cello Suites not good enough to be performed on the cello? But, again and all over again. Since it's there, let it be. The world is imperfect and will never conform to my ideal view of what it should be. And since it is so, so be it. And I have no difficulty at all in accepting and leaving behind something that already exists independently of me and in no way depends on me. Everything is fine.

Podger is fine violinist, no doubt.

Don't get that. Composers have done transcriptions for other instruments or other groupings of instruments from an original composition for hundreds of years.  Including Bach, who often wrote versions of his cello, violin, flute, and lute works for piano.

Other composers also do it to their own works. 

It can add interest or other layers of understanding to a known work. The orchestration of "Pictures at an Exhibition" is one of the favorites of the classical repertoire.

As are small orchestra versions of Shostakovich's quartets. 

Segovia would have had an abbreviated career if he hadn't done versions of works not intended for guitar. 

There are many other examples.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)