IGNORED

Anyone end up with cheap class d?

TimF

• 2 months later...

Picked up some Hypex NC400's monoblocks with Hypex SMPS600 power supplies. Interesting findings. These cost in the region of £1500 to build. 

Tested through two systems....

1) My main system is Focal Scala Utopia III, expensive custom built music server, Lampizator Golden Gate 2 Dac with ARC Ref 6 pre. Currently this system has ARC V140 monoblocks in it for comparison. The ARC's are coloured, they have 8 KT90's per channel and they certainly wouldn't be described as neutral, they have some warmth through the top and midrange (not excessive) and bloat in the lower bass. They are not perfect. 

2) Also tested through my second system Scansonic MB5, marantz av8802a pre, Auralic Aries Femto streamer. Currently this system has a Bryston 9BSST in it for comparison. The 9BSST is a neutral amp, it doesn't shout at you, just plays what it's given. 

On the main system - compared to ARC V140

The good...

The amps sounded neutral, punchy with no excessive push of any frequencies. Lower bass (my speakers to go 25hz clean) was very articulate. Less bloat than the ARCs, initially this made them sound lean at very low end but was simply more accurate. Soundstage depth and width was there. Very impressive, especially for the money. Cyrus APA7.5 mono-blocks at around the same price were thinner sounding. 

The bad.... 

AC/DC Thunderstruck is my go to track for the drums. The realism of these is a really good test. So here was an initial problem. The bass drums lacked the textured slam of the ARCs. They simply sounded artificial. Same for vocals, gone was the singer in the room, replaced by a very well reproduced singer in the room. This was clearly a "reproduction", and matches many of the hifi's I've heard (some worse than others). I could not live with this.

On the main system - compared to Bryston (9BSST)

The good... 

Well it's all good. The midrange punch was much improved. Imaging was excellent. These were about the same brightness as the Bryston, they simply sounded better. Clarity was there and I was really impressed. No drawbacks at all. 

So those are my findings. Certainly this'll be linked to the taste I have, so not everyone will reach the same conclusions. My friend really enjoyed them on the main system and didn't complain at all, even when I pointed out what I didn't like. I just can't handle losing the "real" feeling of instruments and singers.  

For the money you cannot go wrong. These are excellent and if you like a neutral sound then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. 

Cheers, Tim

Yes interesting, the sound is very different from my valve monos (the ref 6 is a far more neutral sound and would be closer to solid state). I’m not saying they doesn’t do bass, what they don’t do is realism. I didn’t feel as if they were struggling power wise but I could be wrong. Would be interested to try their upper models for sure.