IGNORED

Anyone end up with cheap class d?

TimF

On 9/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, PeterG said:

Really?  I have not been paying close attention, but I don't think I've ever seen a Class D amp with a review that would suggest it's comparable to the gear in your signature line.  The Class D kudos I see are almost always coupled with some sort of reverse snobbery about price or chip on the shoulder shade toward others

"Best" is in the ear of the listener.   To my ears, the Kalugas are very musical and allow me to get pulled into the music.  That is really all I ask for from audio gear (although, admittedly, I do like the energy-efficient and small form-factor aesthetic).  

Bruno Putzeys has mentioned that he often meets owners of his amps who previously had tubed gear.   I find it very interesting that the designer of Atma-Sphere amps now has a digital offering (his own design) that he thinks is his best to date.    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

The T&A A 200 power amplifier uses the Purifi Eigentakt modules.  They use their own power supply.  I don't think it would be considered cheap by most folks however.   

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/series-200/a-200-power-amplifier/?doing_wp_cron=1662587685.6512451171875000000000

"In our search to achieve the optimum blend of sound quality, power and efficiency, we have developed a completely new circuit topology which combines T+A’s unique HV and High-Frequency sine-wave mains power supply technology with that of the PURIFI Eigentakt™ output stages. By this means we have succeeded in converting raw power into unsurpassed audiophile performance. All circuits and circuit boards are designed and executed by our own development team, and the PURIFI modules implemented within them. The damping factor of the A 200 can be reduced if a warmer or softer sound image is desired in combination with particular loudspeakers."

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d love to try Eigentakt based amps. They could potentially, finally match the hype that class D has received forever.

Maybe the T&A A200?  Just as reference point in the progress of Class D.  Or NAD M23?

My own experience with the Hypex-based amps (DIY, then NAD, then Mola Mola) was an ears-on lesson in how implementation affects the overall sound (true in general, of course).  

The Hypex was first generation Bruno.  The descriptions of his Eigentakt highlight their load-invariant quality.  Perhaps they can better handle your beautiful, large electroacoustic transducers.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GUTB said:

So...what about the high end of class D? Who makes these? There's that $15k(?) Technics using the GaNFET modules. Isn't there a Jeff Rowland unit? Do any of you guys have a class D amp in your head that you can't forget? 

Still love my Mola Mola Kalugas.  Bruno has made advances on the amplifier module, so ideally you would want to audition new stuff too in order to compare.    The load-invariant improvement is important, but this depends upon your speakers.

I've always been interested in the MBL amps.  This one looks to be in your ballpark:  https://www.mbl-audio.ru/mblproductsen/productshow/28/

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TimF said:

Picked up some Hypex NC400's monoblocks with Hypex SMPS600 power supplies. Interesting findings. These cost in the region of £1500 to build. 

For the money you cannot go wrong. These are excellent and if you like a neutral sound then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. 

Cheers, Tim

If the bass is not exemplary, then either the design of that particular amp is suboptimal or underpowered for your beautiful speakers (there is a higher powered Hypex Ncore module).

But if I were in the market I would look at Bruno's latest design since the  EIGENTAKT is most likely a more universal match with all kinds of speaker loads.  As the posted interview with Bruno noted, the input board mostly governs the sound.   

In the U.S., something like the VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A Amplifier is reasonably priced (not familiar with the brand, so just one possibility) and offers a choice of input options.  And the potential buyer can try it for 30 days.  

My own experience with NCore-based amps (DIY, then NAD, then Mola Mola) is that, unsurprisingly, implementation is everything and there is a vast difference among these particular choices.  When the implementation is very good, one hears the natural sweetness and warmth of the recording (if the recording captures that).  One might think there are tubes in the system.  

40 minutes ago, TimF said:

Yes interesting, the sound is very different from my valve monos (the ref 6 is a far more neutral sound and would be closer to solid state). I’m not saying they doesn’t do bass, what they don’t do is realism. I didn’t feel as if they were struggling power wise but I could be wrong. Would be interested to try their upper models for sure. 

yes, you were clear about the lack of realism.  A good implementation of Bruno's design is very realistic across all frequencies.  Not only drums (from kick drum to cymbals), but upright bass, cello, baritone clarinet and the like sound full and realistic.   Class D can have all the tone, timbre and timing of the best of the other classes of amps.  Of course, it is a matter of one's preference.  

It is interesting to me that Atma-Sphere, a company known for valves, now offers a Class D amp:  http://www.atma-sphere.com/en/classD.html   In fact, the designer has posted that Class D is the present and the future of amplification.  That got my attention.  🧐