IGNORED

How do I know I need a DDC? (not sure where this fits)

• USB to S/PDIF protocol conversion: Interfacing PC to older S/PDIF input DAC or active speakers of AES/EBU input (for example Genelec The Ones series)
  • Galvanic isolation: If hum noise is heard from the speakers caused by ground loop, the loop can be electronically isolated using DDC TOSLINK optical output.
  • Wider input range: Older DAC such as Accuphase DAC-30 accepts 192kHz PCM only with S/PDIF coax input and its USB input is limited to 96kHz. It is said it is because the USB receiver is USB Full Speed and USB Audio Class 1.0 (theoretical max PCM data rate is 8184kbps)
  • To isolate and identify the problem cause: If your DAC sometimes stutters with its USB input, connecting it via DDC may resolve the glitch, if it is not resolved, the problem cause is not DAC USB input.

Typically the sound fidelity of DAC USB input is better than DAC S/PDIF input. On some DAC (it is rare case) both USB and S/PDIF achieve the same performance. 

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

GoldenSound video on this topic, well worth watching

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.