IGNORED

Recommended affordable pucks

• 1 year later...

For goodness sake, gentlemen, let's get this right.

The OROKS hockey pucks used as a vibration absorber/isolator, was a SOFT POLYURETHANE FOAM puck, designed for indoor play, so as not to destroy the house!  It is NOT the standard hard rubber puck designed for ice hockey.

I bet this makes a lot more sense to everyone now!

BTW, the key to vibration absorption is to use a material designed for a specific load range, and use the static load to optimally deflect (and pre-load) the material.  Not too much, but certainly not too little, for optimum damping.

Visco-elastic materials that are too hard (not sufficiently deflected under the static load) are as ineffective as materials that are over deflected under static load.  This is a whole science unto itself, and is very interesting.

And yes, I am an Engineer.

Good luck, guys, and have fun!

Since you've tried many different isolation-type pads, why not try springs?  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MPVFVRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use these (or similar ones) under just about everything.  They're especially useful under my 3" TT maple platform/block (used 8 of them).

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Monitor Audio Silver 100 x4 Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub.

To audiom3:

I actually have 8 of these little spring feet, too!

A few comments:

- those little springs are stiff!  I'm not sure that they are made with true "music wire" (the preferred wire type).

- fortunately you can remove individual little springs, so that the combined spring constant is better matched to the intended load.

- remember, optimum damping is achieved by deflecting the spring (pushing it down) under the static load of the device. Best damping is obtained when the spring is compressed to near its minimum height; but leave some room for movement. 

- try fewer feet under a device, and fewer springs in each foot.  Just make sure that the mini spring pattern stays symmetrical, for even load distribution.

- "softer" springs often work better than "stiff" springs.

Check out the Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Podium design, which uses 4 springs for each podium.  Judged to be one of the best vibration isolation/absorber solutions available, but very expensive at ~ $1,500 and up, for one platform!

I have reverse-engineered his design, and can reproduce it myself for about $150.

Watch some of his very informative and entertaining videos on his devices.

As always, have fun with this stuff!

@William Johnsonabsolutely! I aim for 50% compression. Always keeping the spring spacing symmetrical. I also only use 3 per device. I do use 4 under my center channel since it's so damn heavy. I love these things!

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Monitor Audio Silver 100 x4 Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub.