IGNORED

Article: The Immersive Audiophile Update 5

You are going to thoroughly enjoy multichannel.  I have ~550 albums in surround now and listen quite a bit to discrete 5.1 with an ITU layout embedded in my 9.1.6 theater setup.  I prefer to mostly listen without upmixers.  If you don't have Fagen's Nighfly in DSD 5.1 yet, get it ASAP.  It's a must-have and a perfect example of top-quality production in a restrained, but truly impressive multichannel mix. My buddy Kevin couldn't stop talking about it the next day after we listened.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

Both Wish You Were Here and DSOTM are must haves.  If you like Gilmour, Rattle That Lock is a superb album on BD. Kind of Blue of course.  Thrak, by King Crimson is most impressive. Brothers in Arms. Gaucho. There are three Groove Armada SACDs that are superb. There are starting to be more 5.1 FLACs available.  I suspect that HD tracks will soon be adding more to their surround downloads, which are currently mostly classical releases.  It's a great time to be diving in...

the Steve Hoffman forums often discuss various releases.  I have the hybrid multichannel SACD of BiA (and have ripped it). I personally wouldn't opt for a PCM mix when a DSD one is available.  I think there is only one multichannel mix available of that album.  I have found different mixes for other albums.  And the Alan Parsons quad mix of DSOTM was never commercially available before the super duluxe release with a bluray, but many prefer it.  I'm quite happy with the Guthrie-authored version on the widely available SCAD though.  Hopefully there will be an uptick in the titles offered for download through HDtracks, Apple Music, Amazon, etc.