IGNORED

A Work in Progress - The Story So Far

Al Jones

Nearly a year after moving to a PC-based system and (not coincidentally) discovering Computer Audiophile, I am listening to and enjoying more music than ever before. For the hardware, see signature.

Over the past eight months, I have taken the following steps to optimize a system built on a basic off-the-shelf mini-PC. Here’s what’s happened, in chronological order.

Drop wireless connection to network music server (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition) for wired (USB 3.0) connection to Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2T dedicated to main music system only.

Disable wireless on PC

Optimize Windows 7 for audio using checklist by Gary of Genesis Loudspeakers

Replace switchmode PS on PC and NAS with two laboratory PS, connected with Item Audio cryo-treated DC power cords

Connect PC to DAC with Entreq Konstantin USB cable with separate ground wire to 50 cm outdoor copper spike

Shield PC and other components with Stillpoints ERS sheets

Shield unused connectors on DAC and all audio components with Highend Electronics digital terminators, analog terminators (inputs only), Cardas RFI/EMI caps on all others

Replace Foobar with J River optimized according to Chris’ guide

Max out RAM: upgrade from 2GB to 4GB

Replace HDD with SSD

Optimize Windows 7 for SSD

Run headless (no mouse, keyboard or monitor attached) using Logmein with MSI Wind U100 netbook as remote. Considering an iPad, but I prefer a real keyboard. (Yeah, I know, but, Hell,I 'm 59 years old!)

Next step: Item Audio upgrade of Wyred for Sound DAC2.

So where do we go from here? Comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Al Jones

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

You are way ahead of me in your progress. I really can't think of anything I would do differently from you as far as the small details and I anticipate I will end up copying many things you are doing. As far as the big things there is only one obvious thing I can think of: digital room correction or DRC. I would educate yourself on that subject of you can. From everything I read DRC is finally coming of age in the age of computer audio, primarily because no extra analog to digital conversion is required in the chain. All the correction is done in the digital domain. A good place to start looking for pc software DRC is Audiolense. The software seems to be of very reasonable cost considering what it does. No hardware to buy except the calibration mic and the mic preamplifier which is about 150 euros. Good luck!

You could perhaps just sit back, relax and enjoy your system? :)

What struck me in your description of this impressive list of steps is that you didn't really explain much what problem you are trying to solve in the first place.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Great setup! i too built own pc, is the way to go to i feel. Really good tweak suggestions you have!!

Can I suggest my J River buffer/pre buffer tweak... here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/J-River-MC-tips-Getting-best-sound-it

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Exeric – Room Correction is definitely on the horizon. I have Audyssey in my basement movie theater, but so far for my two-channel rig, I see DRC as a set of trade-offs where the bottom line is not sufficiently positive.

Bernardi – As I stated up top, I am now listening to and enjoying more music than ever before, so “sit back, relax and enjoy” is definitely covered.

As for what problem I’m trying to solve, I had assumed that was a given. My only goal is sonic realism - natural, detailed, three-dimensional sound with, in Sam Tellig’s immortal phrase, “ palpable presence.” No more, no less.

Dsnyder – I spend way more time enjoying the music and seeking out new music (Anything I haven't heard before is "new".) than in obsessing over audiofool issues.

Blaine78 – I usually run Wasapi Event with 500 msec buffer, 20 sec pre-buffer and memory play. So far, I can’t get Wasapi to run without stuttering anytime I manually switch tracks. I have to stop the current track before I start the new track for things to run smoothly.

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Since the NAS is in my listening room, silent running is essential. The dead silent Seagate gave me only two connection options, USB 2.0 or 3.0.

The only other DAC's I considered are the Bryston and Weiss, but because I view DAC's as a moving target right now (perhaps the only area in two-channel audio with real innovation and advancement),I chose to spend a little less, allowing me to trade up as needed without taking a major hit every time.

Having the DAC2 modded is one way of stepping up without breaking the bank.

Al J.

Ok, if you dont want to go for the eSata and say a IcyDock, I would load the music Id like to listen to at the moment to the internal drive and not use the USB for playback.

If you consider buying a better Dac Id look into the APL Dac-S.

Otherwise I cant come up with any easy solutions...

Great attention to detail Mr Jones.

I like the idea of wired over wireless and was hoping you provide more details on this aspect of your system.

1. Are you using a DHCP client and a crossover cable between netbook and PC?

2. Can you comment on LogMeIn vs Remote Desktop?

Ron

My answer to room acoustics? ...Headphones!

The XP Home netbook doesn't do Remote Desktop, so sorry, no comment.

At Logmein.com I created a free account and installed software on the music server PC. No configuration needed.

When the PC powers up, it automatically reports to Logmein that it is available for remote control from my account.

I sign on to my Logmein account via web browser on my netbook (or any other PC in the world) and select remote control of my music server.

And there it is. Instant access, no lag, full screen image quality, exactly as if I were sitting at the music server.

Al J.

Al J.

Hi Al,

From the stuttering you noticed with WASAPI, Did you try enabling "flush device buffers on start up" in the original WASAPI setting box and try 1.99 second buffer?

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Wasapi stutters

regardless of settings when I manually switch tracks, so I'm back to Wasapi Event.

Al J.

Al J.