IGNORED

Audirvana Origin

Back on the topic of Origin: Yes, I am thoroughly disgusted by the upgrade offer. It is not our fault that Antoine painted himself into a corner with that whole "free upgrades for life" statement. It was a selling point that resulted in plenty of sales. How many gave up on Amarra because of the nickel & diming on upgrades? I know I did.

If Antoine charged $49 for the upgrade to v4, I suspect a good majority of the user base would have gone along with that. A more eye-pleasing interface and proper sort options for the library were enough goodness to justify opening one's wallet. As it is some will very reluctantly fork over the $89 as those two features are critical. As for losing access to Tidal and Quboz? One could still use A3.5 for that. Not as if it will stop working. (Though who knows with future Apple OS updates...)

Dandou-- It was the whole "lifetime subscription" debacle. When Studio was released, they started spouting: "Oh, we meant lifetime access for the version you bought, that's all you get."

Except: I have plenty of "lifetime subscriptions" which mean exactly that. Continuing upgrades through the life of the product. They specify between a Basic license (lower cost / upgrades for one year) and Lifetime license (higher cost / unlimited upgrades). No funny business.

21 minutes ago, BentonT said:

So will Origin offer any audio improvements over 3.5 ?

Yes. At a minimum, the cleaner, pleasing UI and Library sort filters are arguably worth forking out $89. I'm not happy about paying it, but at least I'm getting something for the money.