IGNORED

Can external SSD drives like Super Talent UltraDrive MX avoid the noise problems of internal hard drives

The literature describes the above-noted external SSD as being able to function as if it was an internal SSD, and suggests the possibility of saving the use of the original MacMini internal hard drive as a backup. I don't have the technical understanding to determine if the Mini's internal hard drive can actually be made "dormant"; enabling the external SSD to run without the HD adding noise, but would welcome information from anyone who may have some insight into this.

I am somewhat reluctant to jeopardize the warranty on a new Mini, and am hoping an external SSD approach might solve my problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone who resounds, and I apologize if I missed this question if it was previously addressed on this site.

RM,

I don't think this will work well. While you can boot from this drive externally, and possibly could turn off the internal drive, this drive would run externally from the mini USB. The slow USB access and USB controller probably wouldn't sound as good as a good internal SSD.

Note: This is speculation. It would be best to test this to be sure. If you have someone you aren't too fond of, talk them into buying one to try. ;-)

OK, kidding aside... It may be a great drive, I just don't think running it externally via USB will be good from a SQ point of view.