IGNORED

Problem with Linn recordings

This is a paste of a complaint I emailed to Linn regarding certain downloads:

I recently downloaded 2 tracks in 24/192 from Linn, Mozart Symphonies by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and the Bach B Minor Mass by the Dunedin Consort. The Mozart is fine-spectacular, really. The B Minor Mass is another story. It is sonically fine. However, it has the same problems that I previously brought to your attention with the St. Matthew's Passion by the Dunedin Consort, namely the abrupt cutting off of many tracks before the music ends, leading to a jarring and unpleasant listening experience. If you want to better appreciate what I am talking about, have a listen-it is not subtle. Again, this seems to occur when a track comes to a rolling stop or very brief pause, not with full pauses such as between movements or songs. This is simply unacceptable and I can't imagine that anyone who cares enough about music to be downloading 24/88 - 24/192 files will find this acceptable. I applaud and support Linn's mission re: high-res files, but you must correct this problem. What I imagine this might entail would be reassigning the tracks so that, for example, where there are now 3 tracks that on the CD/SACD flow one to the next and on the download stop abruptly between such tracks, are reassigned on the download to a single track. The track designations on these recordings are largely arbitrary anyway, as they often represent brief pauses or changes of voicing rather than discrete movements. Another approach would be to slightly elongate the brief pauses so that the music isn't cut off.

I cannot overstate how disconcerting the experience is of being immersed in a recording only to have it abruptly stop and the next track begin. Even my wife, who is far from attentive to the music being played asked me what was wrong with it. You must address this problem in recordings such as these if you expect to continue to sell them.

As you have failed to correct the problem I previously brought to your attention, I am posting the text of this email on the Computer Audiophile site so that others can be forwarned and you can perhaps be more motivated to address it.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Best,

Rick Trautner

Hi rtrautner,

I have the 3 albums you mentioned. No problem at all. I have listened to them many times, since they account in my favorites list.

Maybe there is a problem with your software. I had a similar problem with operas, oratorios,... any recording, and ended to be a software problem.

Another app. did the trick.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.