IGNORED

XLD Mac - Metadata Tip

sjsanford

This may have been covered before, but I thought I would pass along something I discovered.

There have been occasions where I've preferred the metadata that iTunes proposes vs. what comes up from the XLD databases. Sometimes iTunes has metadata and XLD has none at all, esp. for some import/foreign albums.

I found there is an easy way to get XLD to use the metadata from iTunes. Here's my general process:

1) Launch iTunes and insert CD. iTunes (unless you've overridden this option) will then display the CD, track info, metadata, etc.

2) Launch XLD. Go to the "CDDB" tab in Preferences. Make sure "Automatically connect to CDDB" is checked. Then open the CD.

3) XLD will detect pregap and then show its track info, if found.

4) Compare the metadata. If you prefer XLD's metadata, then simply proceed to "Decode".

5) If you instead prefer the iTunes metadata, then do the following: Close the window in XLD that has the CD contents; go back to XLD's Preferences and UNCHECK the "Automatically connect to CDDB" box on the "CDDB" tab. Close Preferences, and open the CD again. After detecting pregap, XLD will automagically pull in the metadata that iTunes provides.

Cheers,

Steve

iPad2 + RemoteApp/VNC Viewer --> Headless Mac Mini --> iTunes * ALAC --> cheap USB cable WireWorld Ultraviolet USB cable --> Musical Fidelity V-LINK --> SonicWave Toslink --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> $.97 (RadioShack clearance) Monster THX Digital Coax --> AIWA NSX-3300 --> Polk RTi4\'s --> Cheapskate Listening Enjoyment[br]

sjsanford: "5) If you instead prefer the iTunes metadata, then do the following: Close the window in XLD that has the CD contents; go back to XLD's Preferences and UNCHECK the "Automatically connect to CDDB" box on the "CDDB" tab. Close Preferences, and open the CD again. After detecting pregap, XLD will automagically pull in the metadata that iTunes provides."

I don't change the preferences to do this. You can just use the File -> Open Audio CD menu option. You may need to use the 'File -> Open Audio CD -> Refresh List' first to get the name of the CD to appear in the menu instead of just 'Audio CD'. Then XLD will go off and do its pre-gap thing, and you should end up with the iTunes metadata in the XLD window.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot