IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

On 3/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, Schafheide said:

Although I am having problems with Screens Connect, so perhaps there is a better solution?

Try HQPDcontrol in the App Store - for Hqplayer desktop on iPad.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

Right now I am using hqplayerd but am struggling to get it to find my music folder-on the same drive.  According to M it is a permissions issue and Ubuntu needs a user account “hqplayer” as I understand to work.  I am trying.

I tried to change the user/pw on the web UI to my owner credentials to see if that would work but can’t seem to change the user.  I think it was already established per the installation commands.

Next back to terminal to see if I can do it there.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:02 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Ok...

I created the folder

I can see the folder

I can't access the folder...

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.01.26 PM.png

This is the same issue I ran into with Ubuntu 22.04 desktop.  Hqplayerd can’t access /home directory even if you share it.  You have to create a new directory /music (or whatever you want to name it) in terminal via mkdir command.  This then ends up in the root directory and you have to then take ownership/ change from root via chown command to share.   At that point, you can share it and hqplayerd can then access.  I had to run chown command individually for folder and each sub folder as well.

So: create new music folder in root, change owner and then share it.  At least that worked for me. 

I now have it sorted as they say. 😊 

5 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer runs as "hqplayer" system user. Since your regular user account is something different, and your content is under your home folder, HQPlayer cannot access content under your home folder. Without access rights, HQPlayer cannot access the content.

For example I have my music content placed under /music

drwxr-xr-x   2 root root          0 heinä   7  2020 music

Yes thank you M , I now have figured this out.  Now time to listen. 😊 

4 hours ago, Schafheide said:

So you are saying that, from your experience, if I am having problems with Screens Connect (to see the screen on my Ubuntu box from my Mac Mini) then HQPDcontrol will not help?

I don’t know much about screens connect, sorry.  My issues (that now are solved) were with hqplayerd (hqplayer embedded).  Hqplayer desktop version worked great for me with HQPDcontrol on iPad.

I posted on the hqplayerembedded /LMS thread a way to integrate hqplayerembedded, LMS/Daphile, and Hqplayer NAA on 3 different PCs -if anyone is interested.  Hqplayer is awesome btw.  No chance I am not purchasing the key. 😁

• 1 month later...

When first installing hqpe, do we need to initially make user/password hqplayer with “sudo hqplayerd -s hqplayer hqplayer “ and then change it in the web ui, —-or can we go ahead and “sudo hqplayerd -s someuser somepassword “ to save a step?

Hi bidkut,  

I am a Linux rookie, but what I do know is that you EITHER flash the image HQPeOS and then boot from USB -or- you install HQPe  (not image, .deb file) on another OS like Ubuntu , Fedora.

When booting from USB HQPeOS image you can type root in the terminal and there are limited options available as root like creating a user/password.  You don’t have to install anything for it to run.  Once it is booted up you just go to the web UI on local network with IP address:8088.

When installing HQPe (not HQPeOS) on Ubuntu you then perform steps similar to what you did above- although I don’t know about the “fix broken install” step.  Once installed and enabled/started, you again access the web ui in the same way.

As far as issues on a Mac - I will have to defer to others here. 

The USB is the OS- all you need then is RAM and a cpu.

This is what many do to run HQP..

To update you simply reflash - keep the old one is the advice I have heard -just in case.

I have one, but using regular HQPe on Ubuntu right now.

Anybody know?

I installed hqpe on Ubuntu 22.04 minimal server last night with success.  The server installer version was 23.xx which confused me a bit and it didn’t look exactly like the Ubuntu instructions on the web but all went well.  I used non LVM for disc setup as it didn’t seem necessary.  The only thing I installed was SSH server during Ubuntu install part.  When using SSH it requires user@IP and won’t accept user@hostname now, neither will the hostname.local function on my LAN.  From my reading, installation of avahi by “sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon ” will add this function?

First, thanks to all for the instructions here.  

After server install get /install either stock low-latency kernel or custom kernel from Miska.

I would say use the instructions here for the beginning and end and in the middle be sure you go the Signalyst website and install per instructions latest libgrmpis packages first- followed by latest hqpe for your cpu type.  After server install, you need either stock low latency kernel or custom kernel from Miska.  The rocm packages for amd cpu are no longer required/supported.  Nvidia CUDA drivers are required if you have a supported Nvidia gpu for gpu offload.

This is a good template , among many here, from Rovo:

I did wget and dpkg -i on every .deb file on the libgrmpis link for jammy/Ubuntu-7 in all.  A few looked like earlier versions, but disc space isn’t a problem for me so I figured why not.

Rovo, the line you added is for adding  hqplayer to “audio” group right?  Why did you use “hqpe” as user?  It is “hqplayer” I am almost certain in embedded.

5 hours ago, Rovo said:

hqpe is my username of choice during the installation of Ubuntu Server and as far as I know that is the one to add to the audio group

Ahh, ok.  My understanding is that both desktop and embedded run as services 

under the username hqplayer.  I think during installation the permissions are granted -but there is still a prompt during installation that says “be sure hqplayer is added to ‘audio’ group” or something to that effect.  

There is a way to list users and groups - would need to look up the syntax but have done it before with Ubuntu desktop, server should be similar.

I am not 100 percent certain enough to suggest you revise anything.  I am mainly thankful for your help!

Ok so I checked by entering via ssh “groups hqplayer”, and in my HQPembedded Ubuntu minimal server 22.04 installation, “hqplayer” user is a member of audio, cdrom, video, and render groups.  This happened by default during installation.  Obviously, it wouldn’t hurt to add my username to “audio” but it wouldn’t seem necessary.  Under my username it lists adm, cdrom, sudo, dip, plugdev, lxd - again by default.  

Thanks Jud!

Edit: interesting, I entered “getent group” to list all groups and users- it did not show hqplayer as member of “audio” but “audio” was empty.  So I did

sudo usermod -a -G audio hqplayer

sudo usermod -a -G audio myusername 

and now “getent group” listed both users under audio.

I did this all while listening to beautiful music, so not sure it did anything. 😊 

On 4/26/2023 at 6:59 PM, Miska said:

You don't need Avahi for that, it may bring something like that as a side-effect, but it is not necessary. You need MDNS support, but at least one item related to this seems to be still open for netplan used by Ubuntu these days:

https://github.com/canonical/netplan/pull/237

HQPlayer OS has it enabled by default, but there I'm using systemd-networkd for network management. Someone just went from netplan to systemd-networkd for the purpose:

https://0e39bf7b.blog/posts/mdns-on-ubuntu-server/

I couldn’t get this to work-the nano text editor wouldn’t save it for me for some reason.  I did it per the instructions in the second link and for the interface accordingly - enp2s0 in my case, but when I did control-o to write it it would never show the path and save, just said “cancelled” when I pressed enter.

So I ended up just doing sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon and it works now.

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but avahi isn’t a major stressor to the cpu is it?

12 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

The key sequence is control-x then Yes

I also tried control-x and it would not work either.  Sorry didn’t mention that earlier. Anyway, I used control-o after with the samba .conf file- and it worked fine.  control-o seems to work like “save as” and it shows you the path first, you then press enter to save, then control-x to exit nano.  At least this is how I remember doing it last night.

That is a good suggestion to try.  I can’t remember for sure whether I did sudo nano or just nano.  

The other thing I considered is that in the original instruction link Miska provided, the person who provided the link purged Netplan first -before editing the network file.  I was afraid to do that.

Do you think this (hostname recognition) is critical to do without Avahi?  It’s working now and I sort of just want to leave it alone. 😊 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Over8ed said:

Hello, hqplayer is setup, I'm able to login with no issues.  But, scanning in the library doesn't return any files, even though the path is correct.  Any suggestions?

Embedded or OS?  Where is your library located ?  

User rights for hqplayer, for example if library is on an NAS, must be provided on the NAS.

Deleted

1 hour ago, Over8ed said:

Embedded.  The library is located on /home/my-name/music and on an external drive connected via USB.

I am sure @Miska will comment, but for embedded (not HqpOS) to access a local library I found I needed to create a new directory in a root folder like /music - then you have to use chown command with root privileges to change ownership from root to your username, then move your library to that directory so hqplayer can access it.

And-if is on a USB you can try running /media from the library tab.  I have heard that this should work but can’t say I have done it with embedded.

2 hours ago, Over8ed said:

Embedded.  The library is located on /home/my-name/music and on an external drive connected via USB.

5 minutes ago, Over8ed said:

Hey Miska, that makes sense, thanks for the info.  And thanks Jud, cpcat and others for helping a neophyte.  I should be able to take it from here.

The hardest thing for me was sharing the /music folder and making it visible on the local network so I could easily access/move files to it.  I used Samba for this, so now whenever I add to my library I can easily update all locations-NAS, local on Daphile PC, and local on hqplayer embedded PC.  I’m sure there are other ways to do it, but I like using windows file explorer and this worked for me.

On 9/10/2023 at 5:07 PM, Miska said:

Since this refers to certain version of the driver, one needs to periodically check what is the latest one and switch the driver accordingly. This is a bit unfortunate with the way Nvidia is packaging their Ubuntu/Debian driver. On Fedora, it is possible to install headless driver in a version agnostic way. I don't really understand why they don't do the same for Ubuntu/Debian... *sigh*

So I updated to 5.1.1 hqpe tonite and also updated to CUDA 535 headless driver (I think, I did it similar as per instructions above).

How do you check to be sure you are running the most current CUDA driver?

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Miska never seen this before you have this on your download page ? linux-image-6.6.15-jl+_6.6.15-00011-g06f68f5359ba-7_amd64.deb

https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/

The link sends you to the packages page which includes the custom kernels.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sunny_Player said:

Dear all, 

just installed hqplayer under Jammy and I am not able to login under the hqplayer webinterface hqplayer and password does not work. any ideas? Thank you gents!

Try hqplayer hqplayer.  It depends on how you set it up during installation.  Several posts back in this thread there are instructions to use “ sudo hqplayerd -s hqplayer hqplayer“

during installation which sets this.  You can also simply do “sudo hqplayerd -s someuser somepassword” to set it to whatever you want.

Also, see @Miska’s post above. 😀