IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

7 hours ago, ericuco said:

sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-hwe-20.04

This is what @Miska advised me to do several months ago. It will bring in everything (dependences) you need for Ubuntu 20.04.

Thanks

is this the same for Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Desktop?

and how do I get the Ubuntu to switch to this kernel?

1 hour ago, GMG said:

@Miska

Can you advise how to confirm the 2 recommendations in the message that pops up when installing HQPlayer embedded?

37E094C8-B3ED-4CC9-8C1C-14728441D73E.jpeg

I found the answer for the "audio" group:

# sudo adduser <username> audio

But have no clue how to manage the audio daemons ;-)

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

You don't need to do anything unless you are running hqplayerd under graphical desktop session. In normal headless Ubuntu Server setup, hqplayerd runs as user "hqplayer" which is created by the installation script and already belongs to "audio" group.

Thanks 

but actually I did not see HQPlayer listed as a user in audio group. 

fgrep -ie 'audio' /etc/group
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that rocm isn't officially supported on Arch distros, so someone, maybe even the person who maintains HQP for Arch, which isn't Miska by the way, also edits rocm for his audiolinux distro to make it work there.

I don’t exactly know/recall, but I think I installed it directly from the repository so I don’t think it was edited. 
actually I don’t really need rocm, but due to some compatibility issue rocm is the only build that runs on my specific computer with Arch. I used the same computer with Ubuntu with regular HQP intel build, but for unknown (not officially supported) reason it did not work with Arch. 
but, as I said I now have Roon+HQP running flawlessly with Arch with great support from AudioLinux. Running both in Ramroot by the way. 

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

It only came from the AUR, not AMD. Same with HQPlayer. That is also in the AUR. It was not put there by Miska. It was put there by the creator/maintainer of AudioLinux.

Rocm is NOT supported on Arch.

Well it works for me and I got all the support I needed during initial setup of the system and also later for all the tweaks and performance enhancements. 
obviously I wish Arch would be officially supported as maybe with some future update things will turn south. 
at least with the last update to 4.26 was 100% smooth. 
I think that if Arch would be supported it would make the lives of many users much easier, it is super affordable and makes installing Roon+HQP on a single Linux computer accessible to all. 
at least this is my experience after trying (successfully) to use Ubuntu. 

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Neither Nvidia nor AMD support Arch.

They support deb and rpm packaging system based distros.

Thanks Miska

I don’t need rocm. I have neither AMD nor Nvidia. I have an old Lenovo T42. 
it was able to run HQPlayer embedded on Ubuntu with no issue , but for some reason when I switched to Arch only the rocm would run. The build which is based on Ubuntu refused to start due to cpu incompatibility. 
I would gladly use a non rocm as rocm just takes up additional ~7gB which is significant since I am running in ramroot mode. 
I know you don’t support Arch. I just encourage you to consider it 🙂, I believe it will good for many users out there trying to use Linux with HQPlayer (+Roon) not based on your dedicated OS. You will support Arch instead of so many users, and Archlinux will support the users instead of you.
just my opinion.  

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Using Audiolinux is not even close to using Arch... technically, you are because AudioLinux is an Arch based distro, however someone else has done all the hard work for you. If you truly want to try and use Arch, let me know. I'll show you how.

Furthermore, Arch is not officially supported by CUDA or ROCM, so you would have to cobble those together as well... Miska uses Ubuntu and Fedora because they are officially supported by AMD and Nvidia. Using AudioLinux you are supported by one guy who has to reverse engineer everything and fix it to get it to work in Arch and you're screwed if you want to get support from any official source.

I don't even think you should ask Miska for help if you're using HQPlayer in Audiolinux, or on any Arch based distro at all, as its basically bootleg software and he doesn't support it.

Yes I tried this all, I built Arch from scratch. I have been there, done that. I also refused to ask Miska for support because I knew I was out beyond his limits. The hassles were not worth it. I am glad you find using Audiolinux worth your time, but understand that what you're paying for is for someone else to do all the hard work for you that makes it work smoothly for you, the end user who sees none of it.

IMO, you should just use HQP OS and be done with it if you need neither AMD nor Nvidia additional software. Its dead simple, and probably sounds even better. Also, you're then using officially supported software.

Thanks. 
I do appreciate that someone else is doing all the hard work and am glad to pay for it. I prefer it like that 😎
If AudioLinux will fail in the future I will revert to separate computers with Rock and HQP-OS (I know, I know, you told me 🙂) or go all out for a Sonore server.