IGNORED

Using Ethernet ports on router vs using a switch to optimize SQ

I’ve gotten to the point where I am satisfied with my hardware so focusing on network connections, isolation, and vibration control. Currently, I have the following setup:

linksys modem ➡️ Bluejeans Ethernet cable➡️ Netgear Orbi Router➡️Bluejeans Ethernet cable (from open Ethernet port on router)➡️ Cisco switch (just ordered modified Buffalo switch from Afterdark)➡️ Viablue Ethernet cable ➡️ EtherRegen A side➡️ EtherRegen B side➡️Audiosensibility Ethernet cable➡️ Antipodes K50 server/player.

I am trying to figure out if I would be better off putting the switch directly after the modem and running one Ethernet cable from switch to EtherRegen and a second Ethernet cable from switch to router( for wifi). When I get my new Buffalo switch I’ll try it both ways but was wondering if anyone had experience trying this and what the difference (if any) there was. My thought was that the new Buffalo switch is superior in terms of electrical noise than the Ethernet ports on the router so routing flow from modem to switch to EtherRegen would be better than modem to router to switch since you taking the router out of the direct connection to EtherRegen.

By the way, adding an LPS (Uptone LPS 1.2) to current Cisco switch and using Uptone JS-2 to power EtherRegen really made noticeable improvement in SQ. Also Uptone LPS 1.2 added to modem was modest improvement 

Well I just tried to put the switch between router and modem and it doesn’t work. Researching this I found out that apparently I cannot do this with a dumb switch. It looks like I may be able to do this with the new Buffalo switch I am waiting for since I believe it is a smart switch. I have no clue how to program switch to allow this but not sure I want to take the time to figure out unless I get some indication that by doing so will be an improvement.

Yeah, I think I figured that out when even though it was a 12 volt router, there were not enough amps to make it work properly. The 1.2 also actually works well with my Cisco switch and I think that made the biggest improvement in sq over LPS on the modem and router. I needed to order a high current 12v LPS to use when I get my new modded Buffalo switch. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I have on order a modified Buffalo switch that takes an LPS so I will see what that does for sonics. The cheap Cisco  switch I currently have does improve with an LPS however. Always tinkering and will probably end up in the same place after spending too much money.

So I received my cascade Buffalo switch ( two Buffalo switches stacked with modifications and a clock). Unfortunately, the upper switch is not active and I was led to believe that I need to connect my streamer to the upper switch to get the benefit of cascading two switch’s. I’ve spent hours trying to troubleshoot and the support from Afterdark is difficult because of language challenges. Eventually, I’ve concluded the upper switch does not appear to be connected to anything. No led lights nor does anything connected to it receive a signal. They say that I can return for repair. It may be that there is some setting that needs to be activated since it is a managed switch but since I don’t have any software that can find the IP address of switch I cannot even check this. So far this has been a spectacular waste of my time and if I don’t get the promised increase in sq it is definitely going back for refund. I’m willing to work with Afterdark to try and resolve but it has not been easy.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! The Fing app is really nice. No worries about return of Afterdark equipment. I had an extremely frustrating and disappointing experience with them as well as their equipment. I’m glad some folks are happy with their purchase but not me. I’d rather pay a few dollars more and purchase from a reputable dealer that actually knows what they are doing and not blowing a lot of smoke