IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

DSD 256 kernel streaming success:

I was able to upsample to DSD256 using kernel streaming in Windows 10.  The receiving device is a Gustard U16 that is capable of DSD512 input. Using ASIO, I am able to upsample to DSD512.

There is a DOP selection available in the DAC input settings that appears after selecting kernel streaming.  (This DOP setting is not available in my system when ASIO is selected.)  Using kernel streaming: With DSD512 upsampling selected and DOP 1.1 chosen in the DAC input settings, the music is output at 16bit/44kHz.  However, if I drop back to DSD256 with DOP 1.1, kernel streaming works well.

Some  preliminary observations:

1. The left and right channels are reversed with DSD256 kernel streaming.

2. DSD512 with ASIO initially seems preferable to DSD256 kernel streaming.  But the optimal modulator may be different for these two choices., so this is a very preliminary finding.  Both sound very good.

3. I hope that the DSD512 kernel streaming limitation is a bug that can be fixed - along with the DSD256 channel reversal.

I just played Bill Evans; Live at Shelley's Manne-Hole from High Definition Tape Transfers at DSD256 using kernel streaming. It worked fine.  But - the AS software was just upgraded to rev 1.1.  I had not tried this test of an actual DSD file on the 1.0 release.

1.1 still stopped before the end of the track in testing last night.  There were also multiple dropouts.  I had experienced these problems in 3.5 during the prior month.  It may be that using kernel streaming exacerbates the problem.

With regard to kernel streaming, test the output by selecting device maximum frequency in upsampling as well.  I was able to use kernel streaming at 32bit/768kHz PCM.  If this also shows a problem, then AS is not recognizing the sampling capability of your DAC.

• 4 weeks later...