IGNORED

Effects of a Linear Power Supply

Hi AS peeps

seems to be the thing to have a LPS.

I’m interested to know once the new supply gets to a pc, how much the pc starts distorting the supply again or does the new LInear current completely change the whole thing so it doesn’t get distorted again?

Not the most clear question ever but i hope you get the drift.

I understand that psu’s are responsible for a lot of distortion so it would make sense to bypass that in some way. Not sure how?

There seem to be so many flaws in using a PC as an audio system to use music files? There must be a cheeper alternative.

I expect there is but I’m not one of those tech geeks?

thanks C

Thanks davide256

A can of worms! Or should I say a can of cables!

A very useful comment indeed : )

This is the thing thats starting to worry me!

I mentioned the all in one machine or server as ASRMichael suggested to save buying all these ‘bits’

The problem is obviously the cost!

Years ago I had a Mitchell Focus one with a fluid arm and some nice cartridge that I cant remember the name of and the infamous NAD3020 and Mission 700 speakers. Stick a record on and done.

Im finding that computer based audio is a mine field. Too many options and too many variables.

Time to stop looking at ‘bits’ and listen to some music : )

Thanks guys. C

Thanks Guys. A picture is becoming clear

Thanks ASRMichael

Thats a great idea and it wont cost anything. Im giving it a try asap : )

I get the message about ‘coils are bad’

Well ive done one thing right and got a fanless pc. Down side is ive got a stinking great 12v adapter that must be making lots of noise!

Ive been looking for a 120w LPS but it needs to be 10amp +.

Ive found one or two but they’re £600 +

Ive got to the point were it seems a bit silly continually spending money on guess work. I’m sure you can relate to that so i was reluctant to go any further without some answers.

Thanks C

Hi AudioBomber.

Just made a post seconds after you posted.

Messed up with names and attributed your post to ASRMicheal.

Apologies to you and ASRMichael.

Im going to try the USB pin thing asap. I have a 12v DAC

Im curious what blocking the #1 pin will do? Im guessing by blocking you mean stick a bit of tape over it or such like?

thanks C

Thanks Albrecht and Cab33

So interesting that computers seem to, or act as, the source of media files and the origin of most of the problems at the same time?

I like the idea of a wholistic system. I cant get away from questing the whole thing as flawed from the beginning in my HO. Actually not MHO, just my opinion.

Time for a different line of rendering files based pc music altogether ‘me thinks’ but i know someone else will say there is so what is it? (Presuming there is one)

I keep thinking vinyl, and analog; but scratched records just annoy the hell!

Seems like an exponential question?

Just throwing it out there as they say or IMHO!

• 1 year later...