IGNORED

Dull Dull Dull. Headphones and DACs

Hi AS peeps

I'm wondering if people have found various well rated headphones and DACs quite muffled and lifeless.

Just tried the ifi zen Can and Dac. Just boring to listen to with no dynamics? Sent back

Tried the new Cambridge Audio dacmagic 200m. Dull, boring and life less. Sent back

Tried the Highly rated 1000m mk 4 or what ever it is, boomy, and dull. Sent straight back

Tried the B&W p7 same, sent back. 
The above all highly rated?

I play guitar and record some music and know how things should sound and the above just dont sound ‘real’!

I have Shure 1540 headphones. Great for me....

Ive found my crusty old DAC X6 better than all the above?

Any one have comments on their general experience of these type of units?

C.

Curious as i dont get that with the Shure headphones?

Also have an Audiolab mdac mini which was clear as a bell but its died : (

Interested that If it was noise where do you think that might arise from?

i have a mains conditioner and loads of fancy cable. No linear power supply yet.

surely it wouldnt make the huge difference ive found?

Hi O&H

Good point.

I use USB. I did spent a load of money on an Adioquest cable, an A to B. It improved clarity with les ‘fuzz’ : )

What are your views on this kind of thing?

One problem is my 12v pc which has an adapter. Its proven very difficult to get a Linear P S as its high wattage and so high amps

it needs 120w with at least 10amps.

Interestingly I tried my other PC which I gave the same setup. That was 240v straight in with no adapter.

I actually found this had a tiny bit of audible distortion.

The PC’s are both quite new with m2 drives for OS and SSD storage drives and loads of ram and quick Cpu’s....

C

Thanks 1&1/2

Great info thanks.

This feels like an up hill struggle sorting all this out but it starts comming in to focus after a while.

As with a lot of people my bank account is the next phase.

You buy a good computer and a few other bits and have no reason to doubt they wont be good enough then find you need to start all over again! ‘Ouch’ my credit cards melting : (

I seem to be using one album as a control as its got some horrible harmonics. I question whether it’s simply a bad recording but there seems to be no problem with his other work.

In fact you can find it on Tidal. I dont have the hi res version but play it through Roon.

The track is ‘Ocean Floor’ by Alucidnation.

between the 2 - 3 minute mark theres a really nasty sounding harmonic distortion bit. The SQ is unpleasant.

I have a FLAC and WAV version on the PC and they sound the same.

May be you could have a listen. Its supposed to be relaxing!

May well not be your thing but Im into a bit of old Brian Eno etc.

thanks

C

Thats the one!

Its quite ear piercing, Luckily i’m not really bothered about that track but its a great benchmark piece to test you rig out.

I cant help wondering why the whole music industry is based on a flawed system.

It seems to make a mockery of purism as theres probably only 2 people in the world with rigs good enough to hear it. I wont start on my views about purism (oops too late)

If its unpleasant to listen to then whats the point!

i find this whole thing quite bizarre that there are so many forums about improving hifi set ups that there is obviously a problem with the whole thing!

Ok. Done moaning now : )

You have to deal with how things are!

Ill go and have a word with the bank or sell my house, maybe rent a room in a recording studio : )

Thanks C.

Hi Savolax

Well that all seems incredibly useful.

I will peruse will detail. This sounds like some juicy material

Only heard about USB cards a couple of time so that will be interesting to read up on.

Too many options!!! I cant cope with that : (

Thanks for taking the time to do the post : )

C.

Yes, utterly shameless and self promoting : )

I thought the title ‘things i dont like about forums’ was amusing : )

Actually haven’t had time to look at the vids yet.

Ive come to the conclusion about the main stream reviews that they are complete bo#£&£ks.

Luckily ive ended up with a pair of Shure headphones that are clear as a bell.

Strangely there were comparisons between B&W and they’re chalk and cheese?

i also ended up with an Audiolab dac that was slated but sounds to me way beyond some of the others that are supposed to be ‘better’

moan moan moan.

A strange journey this is!

C. 

All came up in French for some odd reason

Rando are you French? Pardon me if you are.

Its all gone a bit wrong somewhere?

Anyhow... I think there is a strong point in whats said about mood, well to a point.

I think with cheaper units theres always room for improvement.

As with personal preference to sound, I think if what your doing is enjoyable then thats all good : )

C.