IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Note: Those with current PGGB 128 licenses will be automatically upgraded to v6 (PGGB 128), they will retain PCM 128bit precision and will be able to do DSD rates up to DSD256. We will continue to support it, but no new licenses will be issued.

Do you know if that will be the same for PGGB-IT?  If so, I need to rush off to buy the upgrade.  To me, the middle tier could provide the best balance for DSD levels. Nevermind, I was recalling this which must have changed:

• PGGB 128bit: Will be available on Windows both as PGGB 128 from remastero and as PGGB-IT! 128bit from Audiowise. Mac version will be available as PGGB 128 through remastero. PGGB 128bit will support DSD128, DSD256 and DSD512 with up to 9th order modulators.
8 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yes, it will be the same for PGGB-IT!, just to be clear, both PGGB 64 and PGGB 128 will be able to do DSD256 at the same quality with PGGB 128 being able to do PCM at 128bit precision while PGGB 64 stops at 64bit precision for PCM. 

If your interest is DSD, I don't see any advantage in going with the middle tier unless you also need 128bit PCM for perhaps additional processing by the other software.

Keeping files below 4gb for flac and DSD512 is the limit of Roon native playback, so these constraints are part of my decision making process.  While I can and do use HQPlayer for playback, any files that are outside of Roon's ability to library make them non-negotiable for me.  Until I either do the math or some file size examples are provided, I'm in a holding pattern.

Very helpful.  I'm looking forward to trying the release.  If someone has already used PGGB to convert a number of files from their native rate to 16fs/24bit to use those converted files as a basis for DSD conversion?  Or should one resort to the native rate files and process from there?

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@genefruitI saw a discussion on a different forum regarding what PGGB does. In spite of me having repeated this multiple times here and elsewhere. Currently PGGB does not use filters or taps in the same sense as Chord, it is not a longer version of Chord's filters. Any discussion along these lines is simply not true hence any conclusions reached from the discussion along those lines are also incorrect and misleading. 

The approach currently used by PGGB is completely different. PGGB looks at the whole track, it keeps the original samples intact and unchanged (assuming no HF filtering was engaged, which are by default off for CD and 2fS rates). Then PGGB reconstructs the intermediate samples all at once by time shifting the original samples. It takes the same approach be it upsampling to 16fS PCM or DSD1024.

Thank you for the explanation.  It was not my intent to misrepresent PGGB.  I'm not sure which forum, as I believe I've mentioned PGGB in two locations other than here.  I don't believe in either case I stated that PGGB doesn't look at the whole track.  I'm suspecting it was a quick reference to/comparison with Chord.  In the future, I'll simply reference that people may be interested in PGGB and provide this link - https://www.remastero.com/pggb.html

12 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@genefruit I edited my original post, someone was responding to your question, since I am unable to respond on that headphone forum (due to restrictive polices requiring to be paid sponsor), I was responding here. Apologies if it was a coincidence (in the user handle), and I certainly was not suggesting you were making the reference.

Ah, now I have context.  Same user handle and same person.