IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

Hello.

First, thank you for the work in offering this software solution.

This morning I tried 3 files processed on trial and wondering if I am missing something or missing settings or features as it looks like max rate is PCM 1411.2/1536 for May.

I currently use HQP to upsample PCM>DSD1024 and didn't come to favorable results with the files generated with the below settings. I was confused thinking I could use PGGB to process upsampled files to DSD1024 rate. For playback I used HQP in bypass. 

Could you help me with the best settings for May and 32gb ram if the one below is not right. Also, what is recommended for page file? 

These are the settings I used.

906508409_Screenshot2023-02-01235218.thumb.png.3885bfcd84ec9a5f1f36e9be96f8a99e.png

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Thanks for sharing this. You have gone through a lot of effort to make the ABX testing 'air-tight ', this would be a great foundation for future tests, kudos for going through this and congrats on your hearing!

Your being able to hear till 21kHz (which is an exception than a norm I hope) provides a simple explanation. But I wonder if you have compared different upsampling filters that have a cut-off frequency beyond 21kHz?

The reason I ask is I cannot hear past 15kHz, and I am sure I am not in the minority for my age (middle-aged male), and yet be able to appreciate differences in DACs and oversampling filters. These differences can as easily be attributed to how the DACs' filters or filters used by software upsampling algorithms differ in their reconstruction of transients. These filters can still be flat to 20kHz and yet sound different. It is harder to tell upsampling filters apart by looking for tonal differences (at least when using different filters on the same DAC). Can you explain what you were hearing for and how you were able to tell them apart? 

Hallo. 

I theorize that while not being audible, ultrasonics can influence the perception. Also, while not being apparent at normal listening volume, at higher volumes it is possible other frequencies can fluctuate in volume as well. For example, I tested one of Goldens test files and while faint, I could perceive 21k but not 20 or 22. While unscientific and uncontrolled, this was done a few times by randomly cycling the playback of the 3 samples and when heard each time I opened my eyes it was 21k.

If you ever get a chance, play tone generator in these frequencies while playing music and you should hear attenuation as I do. This to me has an affect on the audible.

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)