IGNORED

Denafrips Pontus II vs Chord Qutest impressions (as well as the Denafrips Ares II)

On 4/13/2021 at 2:43 PM, Calvin & Hobbes said:

Hi Matt, I'm streaming from the following source:

TP-Link RE230 Wi-Fi Extender > Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable > Pro-ject Stream Box Ultra S2 (Wi-Fi & HDMI outputs turned off) > Audioquest Jitterbug noise filter > Phasure Lush USB cable > Pontus II DAC

Music sources are WAV & FLAC files on a memory stick connected to the Pro-ject & streaming via Qobuz

So far I seem to prefer the Pontus in the OS - Slow filter mode.  The OS mode seems smoother than the NOS mode. The Slow filter mode seems to add a touch of warmth versus the Fast filter mode. I will admit that I haven't listened extensively in the NOS mode after an initial decision on which mode to start listening in, so I may live with the Pontus in NOS mode for several days to see how that sounds.

Can you give more details on the Ares II vs the Pontus? In addition, do they all have the same family sound (like Metrum for example). I’m considering Ares II to see if I like the Denafrips sound. Also, I’m very sensitive to harshness.