IGNORED

'deaf' above 14kHz, appear to hear above that frequency -- hypothesis as to how.

On 3/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, John Dyson said:

I don't know what this means, but before making any assertions -- my hearing is blind to tones > 14kHz.

Note exactly the language that I am using -- 'blind to tones',  not cannot hear >14kHz!!!

Your surprise suggests that you are assuming your hearing is linear. There is every reason to believe that human hearing, like every type of  neural processing, is highly  nonlinear. There is no way to characterize your nonlinearlity in a mathematical fashion without extensive testing, if its even possible. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Again, NO WAY did I suggest that hearing is LINEAR?!?!?!?   Where did that come from?

You have an assumption that your hearing of a complex signal should be predicted by pure tone response, or that masking should behave a certain way etc.

15 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

* I won't mark 'disagree' in the previous message, because sometimes that also suggests 'disapproval', which I do not.   I believe that there is some misinterpretation going on here.

Interpeting what I was trying to say, in less technical terms...   Pumping a nolinear system can result in amplification, it can also just result in distortion -- but the amplification side of things is what I think that I was seeing.   I don't think that I was really specifying pure tones, and if I was -- then I didn't intend to.  (Parmetric amplification can be a lot like using an AC signal for a 'power supply' instead of 'DC'...   Well, in a way.)   Paramps were used in early microwave receivers because the gain wasn't really based on a resistive type transconductance (noisy) but instead of a reactive kind of transconductance -- lower noise.

Anyway -- my vision of things is somewhat complex, so communicating is sometimes tricky -- do I start writing more deeply technical things in my long paragraphs that are already too boring, or try to explain in more reasonable terms -- perhaps taking shortcuts?

As an engineer you are tempted to analyze the human hearing system using tools in the engineering toolbox. We can analyze an electronic circuit pretty well using SPICE. 

The field of computational neuroscience is an attempt at understanding the brain in a similar fashion. Humanity isn't there yet. Thats for the normal human brain. You aren't normal. Elon Musk's Neurolink aims to record from 1000 neurons simultaneously but 100 billion?