IGNORED

Ferrum Hypsos hybrid PS, variable 5-30V DC / 6A

I thought I'd share my experience with with the Hypsos which I've had for over 6 months and for much of that time it's been sitting in a cupboard and I'll explain why.

From a functional perspective it is brilliant but from an SQ perspective it has been easily bested by my Uptone JS-2 and other linear power supplies when powering streamers & DACs (I have a few). Compared to the traditional LPS's, yes it is quicker/snappier but in my setup bass extension and presence was lacking and the high mids/treble were accentuated and had a "glassy" effect, this also contributed to a wider soundstage and a perceived sense of more detail, but in hindsight it was just adding something that wasn't in the original recording. I will add that I also tried a raft of different settings including varying the voltage and having 4T sensing & spread spectrum settings on & off.

For some years now I have been very happy with my speaker setup after purging it of all switching power supplies and replacing them with linear power. I plug all my components into the same power strip except for the integrated amp which goes straight to the wall. When I used the Hypsos previously it was plugged into the power strip along with my DAC & Streamer.

Yesterday I had an idea - I firstly tried the Hypsos again powering my good old Auralic Aries to confirm what I had previously heard with it. I then plugged it into a different power outlet on the other side of the room and the difference was far from subtle. The bass was back where it should be, the soundstage shrunk a little without the added "hash" and it now had all the attributes of the JS-2 but faster/punchier and I guess this is where an SMPS will best an LPS. In comparison, the JS-2 is a little sluggish.

Regardless of the marketing, the Hypsos is a switch mode power supply - albeit a very functional one. I can only assume from my experience that switch mode power supplies affect one or all of my other components when plugged into the same power source?

Anyway, I've managed to come up with an aesthetic solution to power the Hypsos from the different outlet and it's staying in place powering my streamer.