IGNORED

mac output 24/96??

Someone said that rather than close and reopen itunes and modify the output bit rate and sampling via audio MIDI utility every time I want to play a 24/96 file, just LEAVE the output setting as 24/96. Then it will properly play these files and will upsample standard 16/44 files. The claim was that this will not harm the sound quality of the 16/44 files. Is this correct? Comments?

• 2 weeks later...

I've played my music like this in the very beginning. It is a comfortable solution and sound quality was nearly identical since I played everything with iTunes. However, I strongly recommend one of the popular playback softwares that sound way better than iTunes. Pure Music is in my view the best compromise between handling and sound, while Amarra has the best sound but has too many bugs for a headless system.

Just my .02

Kay

Mac mini (Mojave, Audirvana/Amarra/Roon) -> Dirac -> Audioquest Carbon USB -> devialet 200 -> MIT Shotgun MA -> Verity Audio Leonore

I agree with Kay. Go with one of the high quality music players which change the sample rate from file to file as needed.

In addition to this convenience you get a much higher level of music playback. For example, Pure Music gives a much better playback including tonal quality, dynamics, and soundstage compared to using iTunes on its own.

There are a number of music players out there and they are worth your time to investigate IMO -- and they will also take care of changing sample rate.

Steve

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.