IGNORED

Benchmark Dac3 vs ‘Higher end’ Dacs

I used an Audiolab 8200CD/DAC/Preamp for several years and tried a Benchmark DAC3 L in-house for a couple of weeks. I loved the  features of the Benchmark, but I found the sound only very marginally better than the Audiolab. I then purchased an exaSound e32, which was a clear upgrade to the other two; tighter bass, bigger soundstage, smoother more revealing treble. I have since upgraded the e32 with a Teddy Pardo Super Regulator PSU for a further improvement.

I am told the DAC3 HGC may be sonically better than the L version but I would be surprised it if beats the exaSound.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

On these dacs is optical or USB from Laptop superior în sound quality? 

Properly implemented, USB is inherently superior to Toslink optical. See here for an explanation:

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

7 hours ago, granosalis said:

There is no sonical differences between 3B and HGC, just features.

That was my impression as well when I made the purchase, but I read a post by "some guy on the internet" who claimed the HGC version has circuit features that affect the sound. He provided details of the supposed differences to support his claim, which may or may not have been relevant or even correct. That is why I prefaced my statement with "I am told". 

15 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I owned a DAC3 B for several months and my impression was that ESS DAC chips were capable of a level of fidelity that I never gave them credit for.  "Sabre glare" and all that.

I sold it when I first heard the Topping D50 S (not the previous D50).  Was the Topping better?  No.  But it was damn close to me.  Once again, that ESS chip was delivering just jaw dropping performance and the support circuitry just did the right thing and "got out of the way", just like in the DAC3.  I sold the Benchmark DAC because a good friend really wanted it and I had borrowed a D50 S almost the same day.  I liked the D50 S so much I was willing to give up the DAC3.  I figured I sold it for more than I paid for the D50 S, so win/win.  My friend is happy, and so am I.

The AK chips are marketed to sound "smoother", but for me, there's just no beating a well implemented, modern ESS DAC chip.

Oh, and when I want to take the D50 S up a notch or two, I use HQPlayer.  One thing I almost never hear about the DAC3 is that it won't go higher than DSD64.  To me, that is the Achilles Heel of the DAC3.

It's nice that the D50S works for you but I had one on trial for a week and thought it was dreadful; good detail, good tonal balance, but very poor dynamics and PRaT, which made music sound boring. I preferred my cheaper Schiit Modi 3.

The Topping did not come close to a DAC3 in my opinion. Note that they both use ESS Sabre DAC chips but not the same one. The D50S uses a less sophisticated version designed for portables. 

I certainly didn't find the DAC3 too bright, but the exaSound e32 has a slightly warmer, more detailed treble, using the same DAC chips.