IGNORED

Benchmark Dac3 vs ‘Higher end’ Dacs

Here is my Journey to the full Benchmark stack of three which happened over a two year span.

Chord Qutest to Pass XA30 class A

Chord Qutest to Nord MK500 II class D

Benchmark Dac3 to Nord MK500 II

Benchmark Dac3 to Benchmark AHB2 class G

Benchmark Dac3 to Benchmark LA4 to Benchmark AHB2

Each step of the way I just kept wondering how much better it could get and I am happy to finally say this is my end point for many years to come.  The Benchmark stuff is dead quiet and very detailed if you like that sound.  The entire stack was less then $8K and has a very small footprint and heat output if that matters to you.  The LA4 pre added very precise volume control, much better than the DAC3's.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

4 hours ago, Thetiminator said:

That’s very interesting re adding the LA4 to the chain...

There is a thread over at audiogon that talks about the LA4/HPA4 specifically.  Doing the volume control in the analog domain is the main benefit allowing the full digital signal to the DA process or something like that as I don't understand all the EE stuff but the result is much more precise volume control and better sound at lower volumes.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

• 2 weeks later...

I have switched back and forth between my optical and USB and can say that when streaming from my Macbook, the optical is much better than the USB.  I agree with the "veiled" observation. 

However, streaming from a more audio specific device may sound better through the USB than optical.

21 hours ago, matthias said:

you have one of the rare MacBooks with Toslink output

If by rare you mean old :) yes I do, it is a mid 2014 Macbook Pro running Big Sur.  It still seems like I bought it new yesterday.  Mac's can run forever.