IGNORED

Intel CPUs Don’t Support ECC Memory: How Bad For A/V Quality?

lisa

AMD does not support ECC memory.

To get ECC you just need to use XEON processors.  ECC memory then becomes an option.  The systems are usually a bit more expensive and choices can be limiting, i.e., no designer laptops but the availability is present.

Have no idea if memory errors, if they actually occur, are detrimental to sound quality.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

9 minutes ago, danadam said:

Cursory google query suggests otherwise.

You can USE ECC memory...AMD does NOT support it.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

30 minutes ago, botrytis said:

AMD confirms that Ryzen supports ECC memory | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

NOT TRUE! One needs to really do research first.

From your link:  "Instead of simply disabling ECC support altogether, AMD has instead opted to allow motherboards to support the standard as they see fit, allowing consumers to take full advantage of ECC memory when using a compatible motherboard."

AMD is leaving it up to the MB makers to support.  Support is just not using...it also entails aftermarket issues.  Implement at your own risk.

11 hours ago, luisma said:

Not officially but it does on certain boards, running a 3700X right now with 128 ECC. AMD EPYC (the server chip, like xeons) fully support ECC

It actually occurs very rarely with solar storms mainly or when memory is malfunctioning or overclocked or under voltaged. But the occurrence will affect usually 1 bit which I doubt you will notice. The real danger is data corruption when written to disk but for our audio pcs playing audio I would say it is irrelevant.

I repeat...two meanings of support:

1) AMD supports meaning you can use ECC memory if you wish.

2) IF you have issues (compatibility, etc) AMD DOES NOT SUPPORT.  You will have to work with your MB supplier.

I, personally, do not think one would have an issue using ECC but there is a risk, however small that risk is.

Here is my extreme example to illustrate my point:  @Miska sells and supports after the sell.  There are thousands of pages on this forum of him doing just that. 

What if he decided to sell all his software through retail and said "IF any issue, talk to your vendor. I will not help you."  This is what AMD is doing.