IGNORED

Beginning of the end?

...or end of the beginning?

Sony closes CD plant

I'm just old enough to lament the thought of no more CDs (not today because of this, but just as a general trend). Got my first (expensive) CD player as my college graduation gift in 1984. Easily said "good riddance" to LP's at that time, but I think I will miss Redbook. Especially if the only thing that replaces it for "mainstream" music is 256kbps iTunesPlus downloads.

cheers,

jp

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

I think the era of having a physical copy of most any media - books, CDs, VideoTapes, DVDs is heading down the road to oblivion.

Cheap digital storage, both locally, and eventually in the cloud will allow one to access the media anywhere, and on different machine types.

Sure my Sony CDP from 1984 is still doing a great job in one of my systems, but increasingly that system is playing Pandora/Sirius music streamed to it via Airfoil and Airport Express from my wife's computer. And she only entered the computer age kicking and screaming.

More and more often we watch Netflix streaming movies, and use the AppleTV to rent some.

Ultimately you will rent/lease media as needed, and perhaps either pay for permanent access, or download some to a permanent location in the computing cloud, and pull it up on your iPod, in your car, or on your refrigerator. (or your toaster). One advantage is that there seem to be enough audiophiles still around for the business to support not only lossless CD quality files, but HiRez as well. The market will have to decide of course, but I think if there are enough people who will pay more for the quality music, it will be available. This would actually be better than the other direction the CD production has been going with more compression to make it "louder", which is perceived as "better" by the masses apparently.

We are still in the early phases, and there is still plenty of struggle left.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys