IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

Thank you, I have circumvented the need for a network switch (at least I saved that expenditure). I mentioned the M1 PS because I came across a suitable PS upgrade for pre M1. I am just hoping that one of the " nice folks" is correct when he says that the USB i/p of the Holo May is impervious to "differences" in NAA boxes!

Re Ethernet cables etc.

I must first say that I have found that cables do, indeed, make a difference (for me, at least).

In my other system, the DDC (Singxer SU-6) employs an internal super capacitor PS (supposedly so that the external PS has no influence in the SQ). Based on "others", I purchased a SoTM LPS.  In addition, I also paid AUD500 for a silver PS cord.

Outcome - certainly the SoTM LPS sounds better than the supplied SU-6 PS.  BUT, (in my system, with my ears/brain) the standard copper PS cord sounds better than the silver one!  So much for the theory that if you pay for an upgrade, it will sound better!

I should say that I am very happy with silver cords in other parts of my system.

A rabbit's nest in a rabbit hole!!!

Thankyou Jussi, for a very easy to understand explanation. Mayge it could be pasted into your HQPlayer manual?

On another subject - I am about to give NAA a go.

I will be using your NAA image for RasPi4 (the cheapest entry point).

I note that you do not recommend hardware other than Up Squared for HQPlayer Embedded.

You do not have recommend hardware for the NAA image? 

Hi Jussi

This might interest you.

Re my problems with HQP 4.15.0 upgrade.

It is solved - this is what I did.

1. On M1 Big Sur, I tried upgrading HQP to 4.15.- failed

2. Removed and "cleaned" HQP from the M1.

2. Updated Big Sur to Monterey.

3. Installed HQP 4.14

4. Updated to 4.15

This worked, so, I assume, the problem might be with Big Sur?

21 hours ago, MikePid said:

I just updated my mini M1 from Big Sur to Monterey 12.1, and installed HQP 4.15.1.  Went smoothly.  Set DSD256/EC7v2/gauss-xla with 1x and guass-long for Nx, multicore DSP to checkmark, hit play, and WOW!  

@Miska is there a reason that multicore DSP set to grey (i.e. automatic) doesn't enable the multicore on M1, since that seems to optimal?  BTW, like others have said here, thanks for the early Christmas present!

I agree.

Unless I tick Multicore DSP, I get massive dropouts using your settings.

Why is it so? (HQP now utilises all 8 cores)

Well my experiment is finished. HQP (with RASPi4 NAA) is at least as good as my Auralic Aries G2.1 (with SU-6 DDC). Actually better, given that it can convert 16/44.1 rips into wonderful DSD256.

So now I am thinking of a "better" NAA. Even though Jussi recommends the UP board, it seem to me that this is still a general purpose computer, albeit with more powerful processor. Surely a purpose designed commercial NAA should sound better (if correctly designed)?

At the moment I am considering ultraRendu.

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, pis99 said:

I have several mRendus and Up-squares. For Holo Dac, I would only go with UP so I can explore the full potential of Holo dac. I guess you did not have the chance to hear 1.5366M pcm out of your May. Just my 2 cents!

No, I have the original firmware in the May. But you do have my attention! Is this the only reason to use UP? - I mostly listen to DSD as does Yussi (I think).

Here in Oz an AAEON UP UPS-EDGE-X70864-U01 is cheaper than ultraRendu.

Aside from the 1.5366M PCM, I still need to be convinced that an UP would sound better than ultraRendu?

On 12/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, pis99 said:

Do you have your Auralic gear in front of May? If so, it amkes sense because you are hearing the sould processing again by your suralic gear. I have no intention to say anything bad with your gear but for for HQP, you need to trust it's authority of processing and leave everythinbg out of the loop so you can clearly make judgement for your own music. 

I am reluctant to change the firmware on my May because -

*note: May DAC DAC does NOT need firmware update in some cases. L2 May and KTE May come shipped with 30.14 firmware (pre aug2021) and Gen2.0 Enhanced USB Module. (compatibility firmware), however if you need to use DSD1024 and PCM 1.536mhz than you would need to install 30.12 firmware which is less compatible with some devices. However the 30.12 firmware does support high res content with Intel Gen7,Gen8,Gen9, Gen10 type Intel boards and many AMD comparable motherboards are incompatible with this firmware. And some dedicated cards with Altera Chipsets. Please contact us about the Gen2.1 USB module if you have AMD CPU. Post Aug2021 KTE Spring3, L2 May and KTE May come shipped with Gen2.1 Enhanced USB Module.  Between Gen2.0 and 2.1 there are no differences in sound quality, only added support for AMD CPU. Many users will not need this module, however if you have AMD CPU, contact us to discuss our swap out program and how you may qualify for this program.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:17 AM, MikePid said:

Aha! I knew you’d fall down the rabbit hole!  I have ultraRendu and I’m very happy with it. Plug and play, set and forget. 

How right you are!

A long time ago, I decided that "When you buy your new car, stop reading magazine car road tests."

Maybe there is an AA for hifi addicts?

22 hours ago, pis99 said:

Maybe get a NAA to verify if the suggested upgrade generates the sound you like/expect. I do understand the firmware upgrade for holo DAC is not easy. 

I should say that, because 30.12 firmware which is less compatible with some devices.  I would need to purchase a compatible PC. Then, if I was not happy with the SQ of the result, I might be stuck.

Therefore I have ordered an ultraRendu.

I know that it does not support PCM 13566, but so be it.

MikePid

My UltraRendu has arrived.

1. I have not yet listened to it.

2. I note that it has HQPlayer NAA 4.1.1

3. Am I correct in assuming that the OS is on the SD card?

So -

1. Is NAA 4.1.1 the latest, if not should/how do I update it?

2. Should I install a Yussi OS + NAA on the SD card?

A rabbit hole dweller.