IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

On 3/4/2022 at 8:15 AM, Miska said:

It would help with filters, convolution and such. So likely you could run wider variety of filters. M1 Pro also has double the memory bandwidth of M1. And M1 Max has 4x the memory bandwidth of M1. This also has some amount of impact on the performance.

So, a Mac mini with M1 Pro would most likely help with HQP.

If, instead, I get a MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip, would it likely be better than the M1 Mac Mini as well or does that fact that it is a laptop (with a attached screen) rather than a headless computer (as I currently run my M1 Mac Mini) hurt it in someway?

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MikePid said:

Wow, interesting!  I'm still on the TeraDak 200W LPS.  Someday I might try a better LPS, but very happy with the MMM1 LPS upgrade with that.  My setup has an EtherREGEN and ultraRendu (both powered by really nice LPSs with nice fuses 🤑).

Given that you use ultraRendu + its LPS, does the LPS for the MMM1 make any difference?

FWIW: I have a MMM1 with opticalRendu with the Sonore Audiophile Power Supply.

• 1 month later...

@Miska Need some help:

Roon (on Intel NUC) —> HQPD (on base level M1 Mac Mini) —> opticalRendu (powered by the Sonore Audiophile Power Supply) —> Holo May DAC

Intel NUC and M1MM are both connected to network via ethernet.

The M1MM is not headless and not dedicated - but it is not running any other apps or browser at this time - only HQPD.

I can run, say, DSD256 using poly-sinc-ext2 / ASDM7ECv2 fine without any issues.

However, whenever I switch to DSD256 poly-sinc-short-mp / ASDM7EC for 1x, I get the ‘spinning wheel of death’ on my Mac Mini M1.

Additionally: has anyone run tests on whether there is a benefit gained by getting a Mac Studio running M1 Max with 32GB memory? I know that Apple typically has a 14-day return policy on their computers. :)

Lastly, (1) would my setup benefit in any way from using a LPS on my M1 Mac Mini? (2) Can you briefly explain potential leakage current issues by using ungrounded LPS? I think the LPS powering my NAA may not be grounded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 3:16 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Is your old mini still running HQPlayer?

HQPD is something else entirely, not made by Miska.

I meant HQPlayer Desktop.

Yes, Miska finally helped me successfully setup HQP Desktop on my M1 Max Mac Studio. Fantastic! I can run a lot more desired filters that I could not on my M1 Mac Mini.

• 7 months later...

With my M1 Mac Studio:

I can run DSD 512x48 using sinc-MGa / AMSDM7EC 512+F1.

I cannot run DSD 512x48 using sinc-MGa / ASDM7ECv3 (hear a pop every 10 seconds or so).

I prefer the former, so I’m satisfied.

System:

NAA: SoTM Trifecta (SMS-200Ultra Neo, txUSB-Ultra, SPS-500) + SBooster

DAC: Holo May

Preamp: VAC Renaissance Mk V

Amp: Parasound JC1+ monos

Speakers: Focal Maestro Utopia III + twin REL subs

23 hours ago, Kalpesh said:

convolution or not ? how about Super ? At the moment I play 24 96 Sinc MG 7EC Super (my favorite combo) + convo but at 256 only

Major limitation is with DSD 64 sources

No convolution.

I paid for HQP5 straight away to support Jussi (without demo’ing it).

@Kalpesh Just curious: what does the rest of your system comprise of? 

To be frank, though, while I noticed a big improvement in SQ by using HQP with my earlier (lesser) setups (especially with my earlier RME ADI-2FS Ver 2 DAC), I now prefer bypassing HQP with my current setup. I’ve concluded that after about 4 months of going back and forth.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, Kalpesh said:

convolution or not ? how about Super ? At the moment I play 24 96 Sinc MG 7EC Super (my favorite combo) + convo but at 256 only

Major limitation is with DSD 64 sources

Actually, I was wrong - I can play DSD 512 AMSDM7EC 512+f1 / sinc MGa without worries. The bottleneck was my streamer (SoTM Trifecta). Changing to Sonore opticalRendu fixes this.

With my Intel NUC (hosting Roon), Mac Studio (hosting HQP), and SMS-200Ultra Neo all connected to the Innuos Phoenix Net switch, I can play a bit less (the regular DSD256 / ASDM7ECv3 / Sinc MGa) but it sounds very good.

So, I’m back to using HQP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, juniorbudel said:

Sorry for the offtopic, did you find OR better than Sotm trifecta? I ask because I use the OR as a NAA and I've always been curious about the Sotm trio.

I prefer the trifecta. oR and oM are powered by the Sonore Audiophile Power Supplies. The trifecta timbre seems more realistic and natural. Better depth (though oR has a bit wider soundstage). oR seems a wee bit digital (though, perhaps, using different SFP might help in that regard)

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 1:32 AM, Kalpesh said:

Success ! Studio M1 MAx can upsample DSD 64 2.0 + convolution @512 with 7EC Light

Good to know that you upgraded to M1 Max Studio. I have the same and am experimenting what can be done with it.

If you have a few minutes free whenever you're playing around with HQP, would you mind trying out the following to see if it is error-free on your machine:

No convolution

Upsample PCM redbook to DSD512 using ASDM7ECv3 and sinc MGa

Danke!