IGNORED

Mac Mini set up question

I am about to switch from a squeezebox to a mac mini for my music and have a question about hook up. I have not purchased the mac mini yet.

I have a HT and separate two channel in my living room. My 2 channel uses a Wyred4sound dac-2 thru usb async for my dedicated 2 channel music that will be hooked up to the mac mini usb out.

I also want to have the option to use this thru my Home theater with the HDMI to surf the net while I listen to music.

Can I hook up both the HDMI and usb ports and have the video only come thru the HDMI at the same time as the audio outputting thru the usb? Letting me surf at the same time as listening to 2 channel music.

Thanks

If you mean running DVI-to-HDMI from the Mini to your TV & USB from Mini to your DAC, then yes. This is how I watch DVD's, with the DVI output providing video only & USB providing audio.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

My HDMI>HDMI connection is from my 2010 Mac Mini direct to my HDTV and USB>USB to my DAC. I am able to surf the web and email while listening to music though I usually use my iMac for those things but as a matter of convenience have done this with the Mac Mini on occassion.

I would think running the HDMI through your HT AVR and managing the audio (it has been awhile since I had a HT AVR but I remember being able to control whether or not audio was output HDMI by the individual input) would work. If I am thinking correctly if you did not associate an audio input with that HDMI input on the HT AVR and selected the Mac Mini audio input on your 2 channel system you should be okay.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa