IGNORED

What DAC Do Aurender Owners Use?

Jeff_N

@Jeff_N

Have you looked into something like a used Audio Research DAC 8?

For around that price range ($5-$6K) it should be on the short list, I'd imagine you can find a used one for less than that.

The newer DAC9 I'd also assume is in the same (and I suspect better) caliber but you'd need to stretch to $7500 new price which is why I suggest the slightly older version.

Ayre Acoustics' QB-9 and QX-8 are also top contenders.

There is a dCS Debussy on Audiogon for $6k. Try negotiating with the seller down to $5K. Game over!

Those would be some on the short list for me, based on your integrated amp's balanced XLR inputs and my experience with Aurender users and their DACs. There are a bunch of other exotic ones out there which are quite good (like the Lampizator stuff you mentioned) but too many people avoid the legacy/established brands to their detriment.

However, your comment

Finally, if I can’t find a DAC that’s equal to or better than the Yggy within my budget I’ll look to replace the Aurender. I’ve looked at Lumin, Innuos, and Auralic products, but that’s a whole new overwhelming can of worms I’d rather not open if I can avoid it. 

Leads me to also suggest alternative high performance integrated DAC/streamers like Naim, Linn, SimAudio Moon, T+A, etc. 

It is a can of worms you can avoid, but doing so may end up limiting you from ending up with something better suited to your particular system. And it's actually not all that overwhelming, once you begin to narrow down what you like.

Auralic, Lumin, Innuos , Aurender's own A10 and A100, are all moving in the direction of integrated DACs on board. There is a reason why - not to say one can't still achieve good results with outboard streamer and DAC - and a lot of it actually comes down directly to fidelity. I'd carefully consider each of these in addition to the other brands of mentioned integrated streamers. I've heard plenty (including Aurender's A10) outperform similarly priced server/DAC combos.

Just about all the options I mentioned include additional digital inputs so you can continue to use the Aurender N100C while exploring the integrated streamer offered by the manufacturer and decide which you prefer.

Aurender recommended that I hit pause in between switching tracks, and that does stop the buzz, but sometimes I forget to do it, and it’s so damn loud I’m worried I’m gonna damage my speakers. I could use the SPDIF connection but I prefer the way USB sounds. Furthermore it drives me nuts that my stereo doesn’t work the way I want.

I'm curious what Schitt Audio had to say about this?

If you have not yet, or it was not suggested, you might want to ensure the cable between the DAC and the Aurender meets USB 2.0 certification. Many "audio" USB cables do not, and it can manifest in odd behavior like this. Worth a shot, at least I'd try it if you haven't.

Otherwise it seems to me the issue is within the DAC.

Your post is a reminder to me of why so many audio enthusiasts (and DAC manufacturers) are quietly moving away from USB and to integrated streaming. USB DACs were great, with AES67/Dante/Ravenna et. all beginning to be rolled out in consumer products I think the humble USB port will eventually be relegated to the audio dustbin similar to how Firewire, or ST-type optical were phased out and only used these days in very specific applications with legacy gear.