IGNORED

Mola Mola Tambaqui vs T+A DAC 8 DSD - mini review

Great review.

I would be very interested to hear your comparison with the Benchmark DAC3B and the Mola Mola Tambaqui. I was all set on getting the Makua with DAC or to a lesser degree the Tambaqui. However, I thought the Benchmark LA4 or HPA4 preamp would be similar to the Makua preamp, maybe even better sounding than the Makua, at $2.5K vs $12K+ just for the preamp functionality. Adding the internal Tambaqui based digital conversion card to the Makua brings it up to $20K. Some people think this sounds better than the external Tambaqui DAC.

What I am hearing from the Benchmark HPA4 preamp seems like a world beater to me. Adding the DAC3B makes me feel like I am not missing much. I have heard the DAC3 HGC with other preamps and direct to amp (AHB2) and it is not as good as adding the HPA4 or LA4 preamp. A lot of people are posting these same findings as me along with audio reviewers.

So if you do compare the Tambaqui to the DAC3 I would recommend you hook up the Benchmark DAC3B ($1700)  to the LA4 ($2500) . I think this is the way to get the best performance from the DAC3 lineup of DACs.

I think that smaller soundstage maybe correct on the DAC3 lineup. I do not have the proper speakers to be confident on that statement. However, when I listened with my KEF LS50's + DAC3 the sound stage was filled in and extended only a little beyond the sides. My best recording is DSOTM on SACD. Playing that on my modified Sony SCD-1 has a bigger sound stage. Though the DAC3 has a more clear and detailed sound. In this specific example I preferred the SCD-1.

In about 2 weeks I will have new drivers installed on my recently purchased Thiel CS3.7. That full range speaker will give me a better way to evaluate the  DAC3 soundstage (with more bass).

I have the HPA4 preamp and what that brings to the table is an incredible volume control and total silence that you can hear. I used to own the DAC3 HGC (and DAC2 HGC). I went direct to my AHB2 amp with the HGC units and it was OK, not so good at low volume, the sound collapses. Now adding the incredibly quiet HPA4 preamp into the mix with the DAC3B (same as the DAC3 HGC minus volume control) caused the sound to be the same at all volume levels. That is the sound is not collapsed. All the frequency range is there but just quieter at lower volume.

I have the Meze Empy headphone with a great XLR cable and it is great for late night listening as I work. However recently, when I got the Thiel CS3.7 (albeit with a damaged driver), I have just listened late at night on 2 channel  (no headphones) at very low volume. The sound has lost nothing other than volume so I can still enjoy the music. I think that is an incredible world beater type performance. 

I should add that the HPA4 does not add or subtract from the source. I think the incredible SNR is responsible for my perception of this. One thing that makes me subconsciously love the DAC3 is the price to performance ratio.  So for me that $1700 DAC3B goes a long way with the HPA4. I think the HPA4 is the best component I have owned since it brings out the best in the sources connected to it. My Sony SCD-1 has never sounded as good as it does now. It took me 20 years to get that player to sound like it does now.