IGNORED

Differences between SSD and HDD - Mac mini

I recently stumbled upon this website and am extremely glad I had. Reading some of the posts compelled me to recently upgrade my Mac mini to 4G RAM and swap the HDD for a SSD.

I was able to do some critical listening yesterday with music I am very familiar with. The difference was startling. Clarity wise, I didn't realize how 'bad' things were prior to the upgrade. I'd liken the difference to switching from a modest quality CD player up to a SACD player. Literally, the fidelity is the closest to that of vinyl that I have ever heard coming from digital.

For the $ investment, this is a complete no-brainer for anyone considering the upgrade, especially if you have a fairly transparent/resolving system.

I'm curious of the maintenance difference between the new SSD and the old HDD. The SSD I had upgraded to is from OWC (see link: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/SSDMX120/).

With the original HDD I used Drive Genius 3 on a monthly basis to keep things running in tip-top shape. De-frag was the main process which I used DG3 for... Is de-frag of any merit with a SSD?

Thanks,

Des

Don't defrag the SSD - you will just reduce its life by using up write cycles on the memory cells. If you just use the internal SSD for the OS and apps, it won't become fragmented anyway to any significant degree.

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

Yup - don't defrag it. Not only does it wear out the SSD faster, but there is really no such thing as fragmentation - files are not necessarily stored in contiguous sectors or cells. It has no meaning for a SSD. The drive moves stuff around to equalize write cycles on the cells anyway.

Just leave it alone

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES